Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone over just about everything I can think of that would cause this engine to start hard. The last time I had the motor running I tried a solid fuel line from in the tank right to the carb cause I noticed air in the fuel line. After I tried that there was still air in the line right up at the carb. That got me thinking if the gaskets and the check valves in the pump don't hold a perfect vaccume on this carb it would do 2 things. (1) let air in the fuel line. (2) Allow fuel in the metering chamber to leak into the bore and then into the crank case while the engine is not running flooding the engine before it even has a chance to start. I was also thinking that this problem is specific to this engine only because of the angle they mounted the carb at. Check out the pic and let me know what you guys think of this idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would say definitely rebuild the fuel pump, I had the same problem on my 80 pantera, and 75 el tigre. after I rebuilt the pump I filled a 1gallon jug with gas, to see if it would run, and they both started on the third pull.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
somethings wrong. My 399 carb is not mounted like that. Now the old 399 kohlers had carbs mounted like that. I wonder if someone switch the intake manifolds.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
It doesn't really matter what angle a diaphram carb is at because there is no float that needs to be semi level. The needle and spring could be leaking if not sealing correctly. That looks like a walbro WD to me. When was the last time you installed a new kit in it?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The carb was completely rebuilt last year welch plugs and all. I'm in the process of making and angled adaptor to accept both tillotson and mikuni carbs. It will bolt on where the carb does now and simply correct the angle making the carb flange verticle. I'll take pics of it if you guys want to see it.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
That's good. Arctic mounted some of the diaphram carbs at different angles because of things being in the way.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made a different intake that is basically an elbow. It bolts on where the carb was on and the carb is now level. I put new plugs in and tried a different tillotson carb. It started in several pulls and all the adjustment I had to do was tweak the low speed screw a little. We both drove it about 15 min a piece and it seemed to work good. I'll wait to see in the future if it keeps working ok.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those engine are a pita to start..... I had one transplanted in a cheetah chassis...... Wait until that stupid cable recoil explodes on you.... What a piece

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny thing is I had that one running tonight and my lynx with the 292 kawi wouldn't start. I'm going to try to go over the ignition on the jlo this summer and see if I can add a mikuni to it, that should help it a bunch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts