Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a cougar and it ran but now it has no spark and i cant figure out why. the kill swqitch dont work and the ignition is unplugged. PLEASE HELP BEFORE THE SNOW MELTS.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The coil?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that what i thought at first but it had spark a couple dasy before this happened ran and everything now it dont. the box that the coil is connected to by the recoil it looks like a ground is half ass pulled out of it. that may be it but im not sure. the wiring harness has also been played with.

·
Registered
80 Posts
if you have loose wires they are quite possible your issue. If after checking all wiring you are experiencing the problem and you have eliminated your killswitch and ignition as a problem, try replacing your CDI

good luck

kurt

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, the box as you call it is the CDI which is also wired from the coil and runs to the engine. It is for spark, along with the coil.
Id say to fix the wires, or change the CDI
Hope you get back on the trails, MATT

·
Registered
80 Posts
Although you could repair the CDI, its more reccomended that you replace it, as it is is the controller of your timing and spark strength, and if it is quality is questionable (ie broken plug, etc) so is the reliability of your machine.

good luck

kurt

·
Registered
78 Posts
Same thing more or less happened to my cougar. Make sure the kill switch wires are taped together if you have it disk connected. If you have a voltage meter put it on AC 20k and check the hot to hot on your coil. If it's good you should get a reading of around 6300 +/- 20%. If not you need a new coil. I unplugged all my stuff to do a seat/tank conversions on mine and when I plugged it back in the coil was bad. If you need anymore help let me know and I should be able to help you out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts