Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before everyone jumps all over me....my ride was up there for some warranty work. (45 bucks to replace a o-ring in the water pump) So I had them do an oil and filter change as well. Well the stealership just called back and informed me that it was 95 bucks for the oil and filter change and 45 bucks for the warranty work (instead of 50 deductible). just curious what everyone else is paying or has paid for oil and filter change.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I hope they kissed you...

I am in Saskatchewan and had my valves checked and adjusted, diff-lock cable adjusted, new oil filter and 3 liters of synthetic Arctic Cat oil for $97.00 including PST & GST.

I really recommend doing the oil changes yourself, as there isn't much to them and the Arctic Cat Synthetic Oil Change package (including filter) only costs about $40.00 and it comes with 4 liters of oil.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
$95?!?!? $50 is what I've seen ($19.95 plus oil/filter). Did they double charge you or something? That's ridiculous!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
When I lived there in '03 we called it "Fort McMissery", for many diffrent reasons...

BTW, considering the average mechanic makes about $100.00/hr in McMissery (if recent reports are to be believed), it is kind of understandable.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
$95 for just an oil and filter change is down right robbery!!!

The filter and oil (3L of synthetic oil) would cost about $40 and then it sounds like they charged you for 1/2 hour of labour then add up your tax and that will probably give you the $95, which is crazy, IMO. Normally you can get a full service/tune-up done for that price, atleast at the dealers around here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called another dealer about 2 hours down the highway and he began to laugh his ass off. I am going to drop my TRV and my 400M off there next time I am going to Edmonton and have the complete service done by them....they only charge 2 hours labor @ 65 bucks an hour. Versus 4 hours here at 110 bucks an hour. I am going to get a complete list of what they do here and make sure I am comparing apples to apples though. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt locally, but at that price. Its a little ridiculous. My thoughts anyway.

I told the service manager that it only cost me 50 bucks to get HD synthetic and a chrome oil filter done on my night train. He really didn't know what to say. And that's a Harley....where everything costs at least a Hundred Dollars. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shops aren't paying thier guys no where near that much. I am friends with the owner of the HD dealer and they pay thier guys around 30-40 bones and they have people leaving the AC/Suzuki/Honda/Yammi dealership to work there.

·
Registered
472 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McMurrCat @ Jan 4 2007, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The shops aren't paying thier guys no where near that much. I am friends with the owner of the HD dealer and they pay thier guys around 30-40 bones and they have people leaving the AC/Suzuki/Honda/Yammi dealership to work there.[/b]
I am hearing A LOT of bar-room bragging from guys comming back saying that anyone who can turn a wrench or hold a welder can make an easy $100/hr in McMissery. That seems a little far fetched to me, but who knows...

When I left in '04, the economy was just starting to pick up steam. I bought my house in '02 for $126,000 and sold it in '04 for $630,000. Not bad for a coat of paint and some new carpet! Now I bet I could get over a million for it. Sometimes timming is everything...

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
What you paid is excessive. Some dealers are just plain greedy. The machine was likely put on a stand to do the O-ring replacement. Therefore, it would have already been jacked up off of the floor. To pull the oil drain plug and filter might take two minutes if you're taking your time. To fill the engine with oil and replace drain plug and filter would be another three minutes. So, for five minutes work, they made a remarkable profit. When that kind of bullsh*t happens, you can't just walk out the door with your hand over your ass. Let them know they screwed you and tell them that you will spread the word about their dishonesty. It's not just happening in Ft. Murray. I was checking prices for new tires and found a place in Halifax, Nova Scotia called All Terrain Charley's. Those gougers were charging double the price for exactly the same tires, brand for brand, Canadian money compared to a US dealer. I can understand paying a certain premium to buy Canadian but at twice the price? I don't think so. You got to shop around. Warning others of your experience and naming the dealership will help others avoid getting screwed by them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If it makes you feel any better,down here in Drayton Valley, the price is almost the same($90). But unfortunately some of us working folk do not have the spare time to do oil changes. It takes time away from everything else.

·
Registered
232 Posts
wow I still have under 100 miles on my cat and only taking it in at the 100 mile mark for the warranty check to guarantee the oil is changed according to the warranty but after that ts all me in the garage baby.......

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
now that i have done it a few time it would probably only take 10 min at the most to change the oil, and i do it my self because some of US working folks don't have the money to waist paying someone else to do it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Kevinbender do not take offense to the working folk phrase. I just mean that when I am not working I like to spend as much time with my family as possible and it is just easier to drop my quad off. That and it is also a huge pain in the a** to get to the oil filter on my 700.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McMurrCat @ Jan 4 2007, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now before everyone jumps all over me....my ride was up there for some warranty work. (45 bucks to replace a o-ring in the water pump) So I had them do an oil and filter change as well. Well the stealership just called back and informed me that it was 95 bucks for the oil and filter change and 45 bucks for the warranty work (instead of 50 deductible). just curious what everyone else is paying or has paid for oil and filter change.[/b]
the AC syn oil kit for a v2 is 26.00, but a 500 takes over 3 so 4 qts and filter is needed, Id say you paid twice what you could have done it for yourself, but shop labor charges are high and unlike cars, oil changes fall under the regular hour rate. You have learned so now you can save by doing it yourself. I did find the AC oil kits to be a good deal, 2qts of cycle 10/40 syn is about 19.00 and dealer charged me 11.00 for a single filter, v2 kit was a better deal. @ 26.00.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Normally, I would have done it myself, but like mentioned ealier, it was in for warranty work so I figured, what the heck....50 bucks maybe. But then they told me 95 and I almost crapped myself. The problem with Fort McMurray is there isn't another REAL game in town. The Yammi dealer is loosing alot of thier dealership rights to the AC dealer. They just took over the zuki and are gunning for others I think. There is the poo-poo dealership, but, well its a poo-poo dealer. The shop rate is almost half down the highway so the first service on my 400 and the next service on my trv will be done there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The 0W-40 synthetic kit (for our extreme cold) cost me 47$ plus the labour 45$ so about 92 plus taxes surrend . Learned my lesson: don't wait for -15 celsius to do an oil change!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts