Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we do lots of river riding, Me on my 99 zrt 600, step son on a 10 Yamaha nitro and his father inlaw on a 2000 srx 700. On top end I am about the same as the nitro and about 10 mph slower than the srx.

My biggest problem is I can't corner as good as they can. I have lots of studs and good carbides but I can't keep the inside ski down in fast sweeping corners even in a full oval racing tuck hanging off the side, so I have to let up and they run away from me.

Any ides on what I can do to help stay with them? Is it true the 2000 zrt had longer A arms for a wider ski stance? if its true would the 2000 stuff bolt on a 99?

·
Administrator
8,015 Posts
The ZR had a 41 inch ski stance in 1999, in 2000 they went with a 43 inch stance. My 99 ZR 700 now has the 43 inch stance.
I cant say for sure if the ZRT has the same stance for the same years but I'd guess that yes you have a 41 inch stance.
Tape measure time.
To make it wider you'll need both upper and lower A-arms AND the spindle from a newer ZR/ZRT. The spindle and A-arms should be the same year just to avoid mis matched camber.
I used a front end from a 2000 ZR 600 and put my 41 incher on the ZR 600 and sold it for $100 more than I paid for it. Kinda worked out nice.
I tried to use my original 99 spindles but the 2000 a-arms and the 99 spindle fit but the top of the spindle was about 1/2 inch leaning in. Didnt work. Mounting holes arent in the exact same place.
It is more stable in the corners. But the 99 origanla set- up wasnt too tippy to begin with.
If you can go back to the origanal spring settings/ limiter strap also
you might be able to get it to handle better. Maybe your front shock/spring in the skid has too much tension on it?
ZR and ZRT used the same chassis i believe.
edit, your 99 is a 41 inch stance, the 2000 is a 43, you can use ZR parts or ZRT parts for sure, just checked online parts store.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes the 2000+ is 2 inches wider and will bolt right in to your sled. You need the a arms, shocks and spindles as previously mentions. Also as mentions, try tightening your shocks or adjusting your sway bar.

·
Administrator
8,015 Posts
You will also need the longer tie rod adjusters (aluminum rod)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies, If I can find the stuff cheap I might do it. My sway bar bushings are real loose also, could that be part of the problem?

I have more of a problem turning to the right than to the left. Maybe I am just more comfortable turning to the left lol. The old oval racer in me yet maybe ha ha.

·
Administrator
8,015 Posts
loose bushings will add to inner ski lift, guess it depends on how loose they are.
Find a 2000 or newer ZR, ZRT, or ZL (if you want a plush ride) used sled this spring, look for a good deal but look at the front suspension closely and check for damage/tighteness. Make sure is has the 43 inch stance. Then swap the complete front ends ( i had mine powder coated) and the shocks rebuilt and sell the donor sled next October, ya might make a couple of bucks (i did). The swap includes taking the front nose piece off, 4 to 6 screws/bolts. My donor sleds was abused like no other but the suspension parts were still tight. It was a fun little project last spring -early summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts