Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2001 400, the cooling fan never shuts off. When the key is on it runs continuously. I have looked at the wiring diagram in the service manual and it shows no fan switch. Is the fan supposed to run constantly on a 2001 or is there a switch built into the fan that may be faulty? :help

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Does it start right when you start up the quad cold? If so, I'd look at a temp sensor perhaps, but I'll be interested to hear what others may have to bring to the table here as well before diving into that part.

If it kicks on after the quad is warmed up then doesn't shut off, I'd recommend tearing into your radiator. Oftentimes they can look clean from the front, but once you take it out and see the backside which is covered by the fan shrowd, there is all sorts of mud packed in there, causing an overheating issue.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes with a cold engine the fan starts as soon as key is turned on.

The service manual is pretty vague and contradictory, as I said the wiring diagram shows no switch, under checking the fan circuit, it says to unplug the fan connector and with the key on it should have voltage. (again implying no switch) However under trouble shooting it says if the fan won't start check the fan switch.

I'm 99% sure there is no fan switch on this 2001 model, but wanted to check with the experts here. If there is not one, I would like to add one.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
switch next to the hose where your thermostate is located, looks like for fan. my guess is bad switch or wires. for kicks unplug and see if still runs. located on your head by the coolant hose.
3530-005 Desc SWITCH ASSY, WATER TEMP Price 45.29

number 31.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That switch is on the wiring diagram, it turns on the high temperature warning light on the dash. I checked it and it is functional.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
i would follow the wires off the fan and see where they go, i highly doubt that it is soposed to run all the time, got to be a switch somewares in there. has it always ran this way or used to go on and off?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spent some time on Brown's site, this is what I found out.

1996-1999 and 2002-present Liquid cooled machines have a fan switch located in the lower radiator tank. 2000 and 2001 built machines have no fan switch at all. :wacko:

My radiator does not have the threaded bung where the fan switch should go, so I will cut the lower hose and use a threaded fitting.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Just a question, is your rad clean? AG and I went for a ride with a few people and one atv's fan kept running and overheating, when we stopped to really look at it the rad fins were clogged with dried mud

·
Registered
257 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnCataTac @ Mar 30 2007, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Spent some time on Brown's site, this is what I found out.

1996-1999 and 2002-present Liquid cooled machines have a fan switch located in the lower radiator tank. 2000 and 2001 built machines have no fan switch at all. :wacko:

My radiator does not have the threaded bung where the fan switch should go, so I will cut the lower hose and use a threaded fitting.[/b]

I had a 200 500 Manual and the fan ran all of the time. There is no temp. sensor. That is the way they were built. Works OK until you leave your key on and kill your battery.

Mitch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.