Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...I am a newbie with this site..and quads in general.
I have a 07/650-H1 and the cooling fan has just stopped working.?? I checked to see if there was power to the fan itself,and as near as I can tell..?? that is not the problem. I noticed what appears to be a temp sensor at the bottom of the rad on the left hand side..(looking from a seated position on the quad.) but there doesn't appear to be any way to
get a wrench on it.?? let alone un-plug it from the wiring harness.!! without cutting the wires. Ant suggestions as to what and where I need to start would be a great deal of help!! thnx

·
Registered
435 Posts
The fan comes on only when it is hot. Are you sure you are letting it warm up first?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have added that in my first post.. Yes...I let it warm up for about 15 min...and then the temp icon comes on,but no fan .
I will try to be a lil more thorough in my explanations next time...
Sorry Ruffy..!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Corroded connection on the fan? Fans do burn out though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I let it idol...until the temp icon came on...checked for power to the fan.. their appears to be power there. I was under the impression that ANY..! electrical fan would spin freely whether it has power to it or not.?? Going back to my original post..!! Is it not possible that the temp sensor is pooched..?? or the thermostat..??? and if so... where are these two items..? and are they difficult to get at??... thnx

·
Registered
82 Posts
If the sensor was bad you would not have power at fan. Asked if it spun free to make sure there is nothing stuck in blades to keep it from turning. Make sure you have a good ground also,that could be your problem. Disconect wires from fan and run a possitive and a negative from fan to the atv,or any 12 volt battery. If fan does not spin you just took anything on the atv out of the loop.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If you are getting power to the fan and it doesn't spin, the fan is toast. It happens quite a bit. If you run it the water, mud, or whatever it is harder on them. It is an easy fix.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The sensor at the bottom corner of the radiator is the temperature switch that turns on and off the fan. There should be power to one side of that switch and if over 190 the power is directed to the fan. The fan then should run until the temperature gets to 150 where it should shut off. Power ran directly to the fan wire (jumper) would tell you if the fan is good or not. Fan Temp Switch and the Engine temp sensor can be checked with an ohm meter and a pan of hot water on the stove once removed.

The engine high temp sensor is in the side of the cylinder where the probe screws into a water jacket. Them that switch closes due to high temp that is what would generate the High temperature indicator and EFI code. That sensor has nothing to do with the fan coming on and off. only for the high temp indication at the Pod and also provides engine temperature data to the EFI controller. Its output is a variable where the resistance changes higher or lower with temperature

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi again..... well.. I ran leads str8 from a battery to the fan.. and the fan works just fine... so the fan is no longer the issue,but thnx for the info for a new one RTR,,!! There must be a relay switch or something
that has calved...or dare I say...a Sensor of some description...

·
Registered
490 Posts
There is a diode in the wiring near the fan. That does fail sometimes causing the fan not to run.

I forgot to add, diodes are direction sensitive as they allow power to flow in one direction only. Make sure to note the direction of the arrow on the diode before you pull it out and put the new one in with the arrow going in the same direction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry Wyo... I was sending post and did not realize you had replied.
so...do I have to cut the wires to the temp sensor to remove it..??
from what I could see...there is no room to even get a wrench on the sensor ...

·
Administrator
40,682 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
sure but didnt see it mentioned to check or that you did check is the fan fuse 15 amp happens lots to my buddy so when it happened to me the other day i knew where to look took a few fuses thought to realize that had mud ball stuck preventing blades from turning

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Depends on what your handy at, I am better at electrical problems verses engine problems. Last year had to fix my front harness which got fried.

Anyways, the sensor should have a connector somewhere that can be disconnected to test. Short out the two pins and the fan should come on.

I hear you. I think people who like trouble shooting electrical isues have something wrong with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts