Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend me and the guys went on a big ride and I noticed after 2 hours of riding the fan never came on then about 1 hour later the temp light came on so I killed it and let it cool down and went on riding it only came on one more time the next day of riding. Me and a buddy are having the same problems with the 500's we do have snorkel and ride in deep water sometimes I figured it was a fuse but checked the fuses under the seat all was good.

I am going to take the front fender off and unplug the fan and try to run 12v strait to it but there is 4 wires which ones need to be grounded and which need + 12v.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Could be the sensor or you may have broke your diode off so you no longer have a complete circuit. There was a thread here not long ago where somebody broke their diode off because of their snokle hitting it if I remeber right. I would start looking there if it was me a quick visual check is easier then a continuity check of the temp relay.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was also thinking it could be the sensor that was why I was wanting to run 12v to the fan to see if it was fried. I hope it is the sensor it was only $23 the fan is $140.

Also I remember a while back someone was talking about wiring a switch into the fan to byepass the sensor of course I would need a temp guage wired in as well.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Originally posted by mudcat34@May 31 2006, 01:02 PM
I was also thinking it could be the sensor that was why I was wanting to run 12v to the fan to see if it was fried. I hope it is the sensor it was only $23 the fan is $140.

Also I remember a while back someone was talking about wiring a switch into the fan to byepass the sensor of course I would need a temp guage wired in as well.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

One more brain fart :D if your stat is stuck closed, then the switch would not pick up a high the temp and turn on the fan.

GG :chug:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Originally posted by mudcat34@May 31 2006, 02:34 PM
Where is the thremostat? On the radiator?
[/quote]

T-stat is located near the top of the rad, but not part of the rad. It Ts in coolant hoses from both heads to one hose going to the rad. It also has a temp switch from your overheating light in the pod. The fan temp switch is located at the bottom corner of the rad. So if the stat sticks closed, then the temp light will go on, but the fan will not cause the water wouldn't circulate through the rad. The fan switch should kick the fan on at a lower temp then light and the stat should open before the fan goes on. If the pump leaks or just doesn't flow, I would think that the fan and light would be on almost instantly.

my2cents

Hope this helps troubleshooting, good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys! Will update you when I find the problem.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Originally posted by GreenGoblin+May 31 2006, 03:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreenGoblin @ May 31 2006, 03:14 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-mudcat34
@May 31 2006, 02:34 PM
Where is the thremostat? On the radiator?
T-stat is located near the top of the rad, but not part of the rad. It Ts in coolant hoses from both heads to one hose going to the rad. It also has a temp switch from your overheating light in the pod. The fan temp switch is located at the bottom corner of the rad. So if the stat sticks closed, then the temp light will go on, but the fan will not cause the water wouldn't circulate through the rad. The fan switch should kick the fan on at a lower temp then light and the stat should open before the fan goes on. If the pump leaks or just doesn't flow, I would think that the fan and light would be on almost instantly.

my2cents

Hope this helps troubleshooting, good luck :thumbsup:

<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/b][/quote]

Sorry, talking about the 650 here again bang your head

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:D Thanks once again guys you helped me fix my fan. I never knew about the diode or would have never thought to look for it but thats what it was the diode was broke off. I fixed it by putting a male plug on a short piece of wire and grounding it to the frame witha self taping screw and unpluged the broken diode from the ground wire and pluged the ground wire into the wire I screwed to the frame. Thanks again!!! :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by mudcat34@Jun 4 2006, 04:54 PM
:D Thanks once again guys you helped me fix my fan. I never knew about the diode or would have never thought to look for it but thats what it was the diode was broke off. I fixed it by putting a male plug on a short piece of wire and grounding it to the frame witha self taping screw and unpluged the broken diode from the ground wire and pluged the ground wire into the wire I screwed to the frame. Thanks again!!!  :beer_cheers:
[/quote]

Ummm not a good idea. The diode is there to protect your electronics from voltage spikes caused by the collapsing em fields in your fan. Without it you could take out your cdi when your fan shuts down.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
:site: Kick it up is bang on there. Get the diode in before you start running it. You can't run for long like it is without causing other electrical problems.

WC

·
Registered
159 Posts
Where is this Diode? I lost ground to my fan about 8 months ago and just thought it was a fluke so I added a ground wire and have run it that way since.
BTW I have a snorke also.

·
Registered
190 Posts
On my 05 500 its underneath the front fenders on the right hand side, if you pull back your inner fender its attached to the frame to the left and behind the shock.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine was mounted to the bracket that the front brake lines T off from just below the handle bars you can see it if you remove the under panel from the front right fender.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I broke mine off when i snorkeled mine. I went to radio shack and got a 3 amp one for $1.79. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by CrazyYooper@Jun 6 2006, 08:50 PM
I broke mine off when i snorkeled mine.  I went to radio shack and got a 3 amp one for $1.79. :beer_cheers:
[/quote]

That will work however I would suggest something rated higher, a diode won't always fail open and a 3amp rated diode in that circuit is certainly spending sometime at or above I max and will fail at some point. If it happens to fail closed you will be running without protection and never know it. To be safe I would suggest not running a lower rated diode then the fuse.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts