Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went riding yesterday and noticed two things with my sled, '99 ZR700.

1) It had a slight popping and hesitation on acceleration. I checked the spark plugs, but before I did, I noticed real fine copper shavings at the base of the spark plugs. I pulled the caps and shook them out and a bunch more shavings came out. This has me baffled as to why, but since the terminal in the cap is enlarged slightly on the one, I assumed this is the cause for my popping and slight hesitation, that being an inadequate connection with the spark plugs. The caps were replaced two years ago, and I have had no problems until this ride. Also, the plugs are BR9ES NGK plugs, there was slight wear on the terminal end of these as well. Anyway, I wonder if I might need to go to a different plug. I had similar engine problems in the past when the older set of caps were showing signs of wear, but no shavings, just a poor connection with the spark plugs. I replaced the caps and the engine popping cleared up.

2) My second observation has me a bit concerned as well. I was boon-docking and hill climbing and ended up trenching pretty good and getting stuck. The sled was at a 30-40 degree angle with the nose up (naturally). I shut the engine off and could hear what sounded like coolant boiling in my tunnel heat exchangers. It lasted for about 5-10 seconds and stopped. The temperature light never came on, and I was in more than enough snow, the snow was anywhere from 4-6 feet deep, but the trails were packed. I have never heard this sound before, even when I have trenched it in the exact same fashion before. I must have stopped and turned the engine off 8-10 times (before and after) and never heard that sound, only when I had trenched it.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Check your coolant level and try brand new plugs!! If yu want to go a step further put your thermostat in a pan of water with a candy thermometer and see what temp it opens up or all the way up. Maybe its not working properly. The stock plugs should be fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possible the t-stat wasn't opening up all the way as I only heard boiling the one time after running it pretty hard. I'll have to check that this weekend for sure.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
My guess is that you heard air in the cooling system. If your warning light didn't come on I doubt you were overheating. Maybe your rad cap is not holding pressure as well as it should? Check the coolant level and burp any air from the system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (94ZR580 @ Jan 12 2007, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My guess is that you heard air in the cooling system. If your warning light didn't come on I doubt you were overheating. Maybe your rad cap is not holding pressure as well as it should? Check the coolant level and burp any air from the system.[/b]
Good idea, I'll do this first before I get too carried away. Start with the easy stuff first :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts