Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my '98 zl 500 i noticed tonight that the coolant was down about half a litre, so i topped it up. but i did this about 200 miles ago too. anyone had thisproblem?? the head gasket is o-ring; could it still screw up?? im going to take the head off tomorrow night, does anyone know how many ft/lbs the 12 head bolts need to be tourqued to? thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
wait what are you asking :(. You asking if the coolant was down>?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Dont mean to be rude here but I dont understand what your asking. I understand the last part you want the ft/lb of torque for screw but I dont know what your asking about the coolant sorry.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ok I re-read it a litte better, U mean you just put some more coolant in but you also did it just 200 miles ago? If so I have this same problem but I assumed it was natural. As long as the holding tank isnt empty. I would check for leaks anyways, I dont see any on mine tho. I didnt think the coolant would evaporate :). I cant answer your question on the head gasket, I am still learning the engine so I will let more experienced people tell you that one. And for the ft/lbs I dont know either, I never had a reason to take it off because than it would loose compression and I dont know how to set that either :p. Hope someone else can help ya.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, now you understand haha. I hink a little bit of antifreeze is ok but half the reservoir?? I check ed and i see no leaks. Can anyone tell me what the head bolts should be tourqued at?? thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sask12 @ Feb 14 2007, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
on my '98 zl 500 i noticed tonight that the coolant was down about half a litre, so i topped it up. but i did this about 200 miles ago too. anyone had thisproblem?? the head gasket is o-ring; could it still screw up?? im going to take the head off tomorrow night, does anyone know how many ft/lbs the 12 head bolts need to be tourqued to? thanks[/b]

I just posted a question Top End Torque Settings in the ZR/ZL page That will have all the info you need. look back maybe 2 or 3 pages.

·
Registered
52 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Feb 15 2007, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok I re-read it a litte better, U mean you just put some more coolant in but you also did it just 200 miles ago? If so I have this same problem but I assumed it was natural. As long as the holding tank isnt empty. I would check for leaks anyways, I dont see any on mine tho. I didnt think the coolant would evaporate :). I cant answer your question on the head gasket, I am still learning the engine so I will let more experienced people tell you that one. And for the ft/lbs I dont know either, I never had a reason to take it off because than it would loose compression and I dont know how to set that either :p. Hope someone else can help ya.[/b]

what the hell are you talking about man... taking the head off will loose compression? does that even make since... you will have no compression with the head off. also you dont know how to set the compression? what are you going for man?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I said if u take the heads off it will lose compression. And no I dont know how to set compression.

Guess u missed this part

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I cant answer your question on the head gasket, I am still learning the engine so I will let more experienced people tell you that one.[/b]

·
Registered
9 Posts
:Bangin: THE SAME THING this happend to me already and i paid a cat tech to fix it. After i layed out some BIG bucks to the dealer a year later coollant was still dissapearing even with the new seals put in. bang your head It wasn't my head o-rings it was the water pump shaft mechanical seal a new seal was put on a pitted shaft with replacing a worn water impeller the coolant would just dissapear if they let go they can cause an oil shaft seal to go and leak inside the case so i pulled the power plant from my cat and did it my self. I hope this helps:did you check your heat exchangers under the tunnel and if front of the track the lower unit are they punctured from throwing a stud from your track into them if your lossing coolant first thing before checking the head o-rings i would trace the bottom cooling hose to the pump under the y pipe for your exaust 85% of the time if it is not the heads leaking that is were you loose coolant maybe even a bad impeller pump seal or even a bad oil pump shaft/waterpump oil seal check the center bulkhead for antifreeze there is no need to take the head off to check for a leaking o-ring disconect the pipes from the exaust manifold and see if antifreeze is in the pipes and manifolds that will most likely give you an indication of whats going on upstairs if so then take the next step to remove the head and check the o-rings-ft lbs-20ft [email protected] make sure you torq the jug's to the case second after the head is set jug's torq ? fill me in: if any of my info is incorrect feel free to correct me thats what makes this a great site :sledder: RIDE IT LIKE A RENTAL

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Feb 16 2007, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I said if u take the heads off it will lose compression. And no I dont know how to set compression.

Guess u missed this part

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
I cant answer your question on the head gasket, I am still learning the engine so I will let more experienced people tell you that one.[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Hey Cody, not sure if this will help much but as far as heads go and compression some people will do things like shave them to increase compression, but usually people are just talking about measuring the amount of pressure build up between the piston and the top of the cylinder. If you were to simply take the head off and reinstall it, you wouldn't change the compression at all, and there is nothing to set for the compression. It just as simple as making sure you turn all the bolts the proper amount to make sure things don't warp or fall apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts