Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys this is what i have...its a 2004 Sno pro 440 and i raced it for 2 seasons and know i want to trail convert it. The thing is i dont know if i want to just trail convert my 440 motor or go with a bigger one. If i covert my 440 will it be a dog in the trails?? What would u guys do??? Is it really that hard to put a bigger motor in it? What kind of price would i be looking at if i went with a used F7 motor?? Come on guysssss ya gotta help me out on this one.!!!!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
i would put a 800 mod motor in it....you might need more than just the motor such as more bracing and what not.....ill sell you some parts off mine if you want....i got an 800 mod with trail setup and no one is interested...so i might as well make some money on it........ i would sell you whatever you want off of it.....it really is a sick sled tho man....I dunno if youve ridden a mod sled but their insane, and sick for trail riding..whenever i want, i can pin it and stand it straight up in the air...and i havent met anyone that could take me on the lake...and the power is awesome in the powder, and besides, what sounds better than a mod sled????....... thats the motor i would suggest man....for real

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like the 440 over the stock 700! The 700 feels like and anchor in the front compared to the 440 and in the tight twisties and the ditches 440 still rules!! you will also need a new primary clutch and new spring and helix in the secondary and rear heat exchanger if you go with the 700 but it should just drop in. just my .02
A used 700 should go for about 1500 with pipes

·
Registered
48 Posts
let me know what you want.......id sell you the whole sled for 3200....and considering dude says a 700 with pipes goes for 1500 id be around there with my motor and pipes....otherwise id sell you what you want.....clutches....digitron....I dunno tell me what you want and ill tell you what ill sell it for......

·
Registered
48 Posts
and ill always accept offers....i just dont ride anymore!! its sad...i have this and an 06 skidoo 440x and havent ridden in over a year. i bought an 06 harley and like that a lot more...so i just want money in my pocket rather than two sleds sitting in the garage!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi i have a 2007 arctic cat f1000 motor that i want to put into my 2007 ac 440 sp chasis
has anyone heard of putting a 1000 into a 440, or if your going to need engine mounts or if it is possible to even fit it in there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love my 04 trail converted. Put the 02 cooler in the back. I just put my 02 heads on it -2 on the timing 300 mains (thanks for the tips Travis!). I rode this weekend like that and it ran mint. I ride with guys who have 700's and keep up with no effort (even with the stack gearing) Can't hang on the lakes but on the trails and ditches that can't hang.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love my 04 trail converted. Put the 02 cooler in the back. I just put my 02 heads on it -2 on the timing 300 mains (thanks for the tips Travis!). I rode this weekend like that and it ran mint. I ride with guys who have 700's and keep up with no effort (even with the stack gearing) Can't hang on the lakes but on the trails and ditches that can't hang. I even raced it in Cross Country races on 110.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have put on 400 miles on my 04 that I raced. I love the 440 it is quick and has all the power you will need to trail ride. I installed a rear cooler out of a F7 I ran steel lines under the boards. I have 02 heads, oil injection and remaped ecu. I was going to convert to a 600 or 700 but I think I will stay with the 440. Parts are all over for the 440's I have a few sets of pistons sitting on the shelf so I can do a few rebuilds before I will need to rework the jugs. Just keep the gas stations close it is a little pig but the fun factor is priceless!!! just my 2c

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ya i trail rode my 03 and it was a fun snappy sled IMO much funner than the F7 all converted it is a pleasent ride. PUT OIL INJECTION ON IT

·
Registered
34 Posts
i don't have a sno pro but i have an mxzx 440 that i droped an 800 trail motor in this fall. as far as i am concerned it is way better than the 440 motor, more power is always a good thing, at least i think so. i haven't noticed a huge difference in weight yet. i kept stock gearing and have no problem hitting 100+. i will say that it will def cost you more than 1500 to do everything, there will be stupid little parts that you need and trust me those add up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have two of them a 2003 trail converted for my 15 year old son and a 2005 for me.
Both are 440's and each is quicker in 660 ft than every sled we meet on the trails.light wiegth and very flicable in the twistys.I would not want the heavier motor in either one!much funner this way.pull like a pit bull out of the hole too.my two cents.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Arctic Cat Sno Pro 440 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
2002 and 2004– 2006 Arctic Cat Sno Pro 440 set up Information and specifications.
Set up for the 2003 440 Sno Pro included.

2002 Arctic Cat Sno Pro’s came in two types.
LOW COMPRESSION / HIGH COMPRESSION

2004-2006 trail set up

If you want to run pump gas for trail use here are a few setups that work.

The Low compression engine. You have a couple options…..

My setup in my 2005 Sno Pro 440
1. Using the stock 2002 Low compression heads with the code 95B1 cast in the top of the head.

I have the timing set to -2 Degrees using the adjusting knob.

I run 310 main jets with the stock pilot jets needle clip in the middle position.(item #24)

I have a Holtzmen TempaFlow installed.

This compensator automatically adjusts carb jetting for all temperatures and is set to work with -20F (-29C) carb jetting for snowmobiles.
It can easily be adjusted, however, to work with jetting for any temperature.
There is an external screw which easily provides manual altitude adjustment effective for up to a 6000 foot (1800 meter) elevation change. We recommend this compensator for the user who wants "set and forget" temperature adjustment with normally less than 2000 feet of elevation change or occasional mountain riding.

Tempa Flow Installation Instructions
Vacuum Source Instructions

This has helped my gas mileage and I don’t have to rejet all the time!

I have run this set up down to -17F @ 960ft and have not melted an engine down.
I run this set up without sending my CDI to Arctic Cat for reprogramming on my 2005 440 Sno Pro.
You must use Gas with a minimum octane rating of 90 - 93 Octane using the R+M 2 Method this is found on all gas pumps in Minnesota.
I try to use gas that is not Oxygenated (alcohol added) FOR ADDED SAFETY AGAINST MELTDOWN.
You do not need to run this (clear gas) if you can not get it out on the trail.
I just try to run the best fuel I can buy at the time.
This is cheaper than a melt down!!
The E1 or E2 cast into the top of the head does not matter nor do the circles with the separator bar and two digits on top and bottom.
Those are the casting foundry identification numbers and the dates that the parts were cast.
Some heads have etched in information such as Proto 1 and Proto 2
These heads were early preproduction heads marked by the R&D department for testing and tracking purposes.
2. Arctic Cat set up for pump gas in a 2002 Sno Pro 440
Arctic Cat says that to run the 2002 sno pro 440 on pump gas.
a. you need to reprogram the CDI by sending it to them.
b. Run the Low compression heads with the code 95B1
c. set the jetting according to the 2002 jetting chart.
3. The aftermarket set up.
Speedwerx, Inc. 20195 Greystone Ave. N. Forest Lake, MN 55025
Phone: (651) 982- 6020. Fax: (651) 982-0630.
Email: [email protected]
http://www.hotseatperformance.com
They sell a set of milled out heads with two different screw in inserts (High compression and Low compression) They claim that you do not have to reprogram your CDI if you use there heads.
Race Sled - Pump Gas CDI Re-Mapping
Send your mod sled ignition box to us to get re-mapped.
When combined with our low compression head kits, you can run pump gas and make your mod sled a trail sled!
TECH NOTE 1:
Also available for 2003 SnoPro 440 race sleds!
The 2003 440 can run on pump gas with just a simple ignition re-mapping.
No head change is needed on the 2003 440 SnoPro!
TECH NOTE 2:
On the 2004-2007 440 SnoPro Models, a Speedwerx head kit is required but no re-mapping is necessary!
Speedwerx Head Part # AC440BH-12.8.
ID #: RPI
Price: $100.00 for the remapping only!!
Model Year Part # Description Price Dome Only Part # Price
Arctic Cat
Speedwerx head kit 4Head 40cc
Sno Pro 03-07 AC440BH-12.8
Pump Gas Conversion 0-5000 ft. Premium Fuel $395.00
Replacement Dome AC440BH-12.8D $69.00

4. The home made Low Compression set up
For 2002 and 2004 – 2006 sno pro 440’s
a. Take your stock high compression heads 95B3 to a machine shop and have them re-chambered to low compression heads
OR
Using the stock 2002 Low compression heads with the code 95B1 cast in the top of the head.
b. Rejet to 310 mains
c. stock pilots
d. middle needle clip position on the stock needle
e. Add a Holtzmen TEMPA FLOWgood from +40 F to -20 F
http://www.holtzmaneng.com
f. with the timing set at -2 Deg
If you do not know of a good machine shop to use or where to find one.
I have been going to this shop in Anoka MN since 1979 and can not say enough good things about Bill and his shop. Thanks for all the good work and help Bill.
Bill Bune Enterprises-Anoka Minnesota-motorcycle, snowmobile, atv ...
rodwork, milling,cylinder boring, sleeving, honing, crankshaft rebuilding, head work,
www.billbune.com

For remapping of your CDI send it to the following address:
Arctic Cat Race Department
17442 US Hwy 59 NE
Thief River Falls, MN 56701

*** The High Compression Engine****
The High compression engine uses the heads that are marked 95B3 again the other markings for our purposes are irrelevant.
You must run 110 octane race gas with these heads!!!!
The stock jetting is between 250-280 main jets.
The timing can be set any where from +1 to +3 depending on jetting/ altitude and weather conditions /temp /baro etc….
Gains to the mid through top end can be made with the addition of after market intake systems exhaust manifolds and pipes.
These may not be legal in your class of racing so check the rules before you send the money on them if you are a racer.
The odd one 2003 Sno Pro 440
This year only!!!!!It still has the high comp heads but different porting in the jugs.
To run on pump gas all you have to do is send your CDI to Arctic Cat and have it reprogrammed.
Then rejet to 310 mains.
You are now done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!unless you want to add a Tempa-Flo (recommended Item)

Cooling the Sno Pro down for the trails.
The stock system is only good for Ideal snow conditions!
Think 6-12” of fresh powder not compacted down from the last one hundred riders.
There are four common types of ad on cooling systems for the sno pro’s.
1. Adding a set of running board heat exchangers from the F5 F6 F7 and a interconnect pipe at the rear.
2. Adding a short extruded cooler at the rear (2002 style)with the F cat chasis type of cooler running down the boards.
3. Adding a custom fast freddy U Cooler under the seat in the tunnel.
4. 2002 rear heat exchanger mounted in the front above the air box.
The minimum thing to add is an extended snow flap for very good snow conditions.

Torque specs.
The torque specs for the heads are 250 in lbs or 21-25 ft lbs for the 8mm Head bolts and 6-8 ft lbs 72 - 96 in lbs for the 6mm water crossover manifold bolts and Allen head screws.

There is an Allen screw in the top of the head at the 12 o’clock position.
It is under the cooling bar when you remove the manifold ends.
It is common not to see it so there is your heads up.
The heads have two O-rings on each head. (Total of four) and two gaskets on the Thermostat water manifold across the heads. Here are some of the part numbers and the prices from A/C.
O-RING, CYL HD BLT (10 per pack)
3003-227 12 $14.15
O RING,HEAD-INNER (2 per pack)
3003-224 2 $24.55
O RING,HEAD-OUTER (2 per pack)
3003-226 2 $17.07
CYLINDER COMP,04' 440 L/C SNO PRO
3006-738 2 $644.00
GASKET,CYLINDER
3006-423 1 $13.61
SPARK PLUG, BR9EYA (BR9EYA) (10 per pack)
0217-709 2 $27.50
HEAD COMP,CYL-2003 L/C SNO PRO (inc. 2)
3006-622 2 $182.98
GASKET, THERMOSTAT MANIFOLD
3004-260 2 $5.87

Replace them when ever you do a head replacement.
Why risk a blown head and over heating or warping your heads and jug’s over a few bucks???

FAQ’s

How much HP loss is there with the low comp heads around 15hp?
Much Less than that.
My dealer said that you will loose 5-9 tops.
The stock High Compression Heads have around 170 PSI of compression on my gauge.
The stock Low Compression Heads have around 150 PSI of compression on my gauge.
You can make that back with a few little modifications like adding….
Boysen RAD Valve and reeds.
Delta V-Force Reed Valves
High Flow Exhaust systems and canisters
A good porting and polishing job can add power too.
Use all of the old tried and true methods to make power/ gasket matching /tuning/timing /porting/carb mods/etc…
With these you probably won’t notice the difference if you do a good job of tuning for your conditions and elevation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HEP441 @ Jan 12 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I love my 04 trail converted. Put the 02 cooler in the back. I just put my 02 heads on it -2 on the timing 300 mains (thanks for the tips Travis!). I rode this weekend like that and it ran mint. I ride with guys who have 700's and keep up with no effort (even with the stack gearing) Can't hang on the lakes but on the trails and ditches that can't hang.[/b]

·
Registered
33 Posts
yea what was the 02 heads off of. i got a 04 440 sno pro i gotta run race gas in right now but im just usin it for jumpin and pissin around on and itll be way cheaper to run 93. so i was wonderin what you all did to it. and what kinda hp did you lose. and would i need to run another cooler to the back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can use 02 440 sno pro heads or speedwerx sells heads for this conversion.
I put the rail tube on mine with an 02 rear cooler. The rails had to be modified slightly (wrong angle.)
I went to the parts store and found the correct size hoses for the rear and I custom plumbed the front lines. Could really not use any of the stock hoses. It has really worked well and I couldn't be happier with the reliability. I would say that you need to know your way around your sled and have good shop to work in. I would think that on a skill level you would need a 7-8 and a fair amount of mechanical skill. Not the best project for the beginner. Keep on this site for answers to questions. I got a lot of good info from the people on this site.

Chris

1 - 20 of 21 Posts