Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found my "intermittent" vibration from my sled, it was unfortunately due to a bad connecting rod bearing and this is the end of my season now.

Suggestions on routes to take are appreciated. Right now as far as this looks I feel like my best bet will be to find a used drop in motor.

Can't afford to fix it this winter I dunno
Here's the story.

I managed to take it out for a 5 hour trouble free ride yesterday with 3 friends. When we were almost home we found a massive (3km long) untouched field and decided to drag race the 4 of them.

My 01 ZR 800 (EPI clutch kit, ruined track)
A 2004 MXZ 800 HO (stock)
A 2008 MXZ renegade 800 (136" brand new track brand new motor)
A 1996 Formula 3 (Stock)

They all took me out of the hole even the little triple, but after 40mph I took second place and stayed on the renegades tail right to the end of the field, we all turned around again and the same thing happened I couldn't pass him but he just couldnt get away from me I think I can blame the track for that.

When we got back to the end of the field we were missing the 800HO so I turned around and naturally bar'd it out to him. I didn't make it to him before the bearing failed. Turns out he blew his motor on the way back.

The little triple towed us back to the road and we picked the 2 up.

Tore mine apart today hoping I melted a piston and this is what I found my vibration!

The heads and debris cleaned off top of piston

Exhaust ports

One of the gouges in the jug, iPhone doesnt take the best shots

And my piston with the bad rod bearing

Clutch side piston looks okay

Opinions?
Comments?
Suggestions?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I burned my 02 zr800 down Friday night also. Same cylinder as yours, I think my crank is fine but a chunk of the piston went through the bottom of the crankcase...

I'm now in the hunt for a new motor.

Your not alone lol

Chuck

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
So it is you trying to sell the sled on kijiji. I saw that ad last night. When the ad said bearings just done with "NTN" I figured it was you.

Sorry about luck...that really sucks. It looks like you've decided to keep it?

Dave

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
X3 here. Had lower rod bearing fail and take out lower case, cylinder, piston and head. Piston skirt was broken but I'm assuming the lower rod bearing went first. I've collected enough spare parts over the past few years to rebuild it fortunately.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it is you trying to sell the sled on kijiji. I saw that ad last night. When the ad said bearings just done with "NTN" I figured it was you.

Sorry about luck...that really sucks. It looks like you've decided to keep it?

Dave
Yeah I haven't decided what to do with it yet. If I can find a replacement motor I may still sell and get into a firecat (03-06) preferably a sno pro.

I have no idea what I should ask for it as is and probably have it priced too high but I spent a lot getting it in tip top shape this winter already. With a new motor and a new track there is nothing this sled really needs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wrist pin? or crank-connecting rod bearing... :( That is sure depressing!!1
Crank side of the connecting rod, so the crank is probably damaged as well.

But with all those pieces on top of the piston who knows how many are through the rest of the motor now too.

I'm calling this motor scrap metal now, I will probably sell the clutch side cylinder, head and piston since there un damaged (from what I can see until I take that jug off I won't know)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yeah I haven't decided what to do with it yet. If I can find a replacement motor I may still sell and get into a firecat (03-06) preferably a sno pro.

I have no idea what I should ask for it as is and probably have it priced too high but I spent a lot getting it in tip top shape this winter already. With a new motor and a new track there is nothing this sled really needs.
Yeah tough call man.

You probably saw this already...Not that you need a motor that complete.

2002 zr 800 EFI Motor - Trenton Snowmobiles For Sale - Kijiji Trenton Canada.

I imagine the guy paid a pretty penny for it if he got it from a dealer...used or not. Worth a try anyway.

Then you have to decide if you want to get into it deeper or just cut your losses and walk. I don't think anyone would pay what your asking with it needing a motor. Might be better off parting it out if you're not going to fix it.

I haven't looked on ebay but if you see anything let me know. I live 45 minutes from Port Huron MI and use a parcel pick up place there. I could pick it up for you and meet you part way. Save you a pile on shipping costs for anything from the US.

Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah tough call man.

You probably saw this already...Not that you need a motor that complete.

2002 zr 800 EFI Motor - Trenton Snowmobiles For Sale - Kijiji Trenton Canada.

I imagine the guy paid a pretty penny for it if he got it from a dealer...used or not. Worth a try anyway.

Then you have to decide if you want to get into it deeper or just cut your losses and walk. I don't think anyone would pay what your asking with it needing a motor. Might be better off parting it out if you're not going to fix it.

I haven't looked on ebay but if you see anything let me know. I live 45 minutes from Port Huron MI and use a parcel pick up place there. I could pick it up for you and meet you part way. Save you a pile on shipping costs for anything from the US.

Dave
Appreciate the help! I found 1 fair priced complete motor on ebay unknown milage and no buyout option im going to watch it for now starting price is 650USD

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Appreciate the help! I found 1 fair priced complete motor on ebay unknown milage and no buyout option im going to watch it for now starting price is 650USD
Okay. For real if you want to get it shipped to the place in Port Huron it's not a problem. It would just cost the HST at the border that I would pay and then you just pay me back. I can only imagine what the shipping costs would be to have it sent to Canada.

We go over to the states to shop all the time and my mother lives in the North east end of Mississauga (427/Rexdale BV) I could go and visit her (she would be thrilled) and meet up with you.

Keep it in mind.

Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay. For real if you want to get it shipped to the place in Port Huron it's not a problem. It would just cost the HST at the border that I would pay and then you just pay me back. I can only imagine what the shipping costs would be to have it sent to Canada.

We go over to the states to shop all the time and my mother lives in the North east end of Mississauga (427/Rexdale BV) I could go and visit her (she would be thrilled) and meet up with you.

Keep it in mind.

Dave
I will keep that in mind for sure, but for now I think I am going to sit tight and wait for summer. I don't have the money for it right now, and I have my WRX that needs some serious attention before summer gets here!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I will keep that in mind for sure, but for now I think I am going to sit tight and wait for summer. I don't have the money for it right now, and I have my WRX that needs some serious attention before summer gets here!
Sounds good. The offer is always open. Send me a PM if you want and I'll give you e-mail address and cell phone number

Dave

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Mines vibrating in footwells too and I replaced all bearings and pistons and seals this winter.... But I thinks it's the new track hitting the tunnel... Is that possible??
I had my track hitting my tunnel protectors for a couple seasons causing a vibration. This is a 1.25 ripsaw into a 95 chassis though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to a link from Dave12 I picked up a new (used) 02 800 carb long block yesterday night. Today I took it for a spin around the block!

Seems to be running good, glad i'm not missing the end of the season here in Ontario where the season has been quite short!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
No problem. That's what happens when you get to surf the net at work and there isn't much actual work to do. Lots of time to troll the classifieds. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts