Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. Got a quick question. I've got an '06 700 EFI and an '07 650 H1. I also have a Battery Tender (7/10th of an amp output) that I used on my '04 400 4x4. On the 400, I simply removed the seat and exposed the battery terminals and connected the clips. Now, on these newer quads, battery access is not as easy. My question is, can I simply attach a cig lighter plug to my charger and use it through the pod receptacle?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
i would say yes, as long as the right guage wire (probably 12 or so guage). i just installed a new batt tenderizer jr and came with the clip style and a perminate install style with a plug that bolts on the terminals and has around 16 inches of wire with a plug end. might want to see if you can get a couple of those ends through the manufactor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes. It works flawlessly. That's what I do for the Cats on our showroom floor. It looks a little nicer not to have the seat off when they're out there.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bigbadbikerdan @ Feb 3 2007, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes. It works flawlessly. That's what I do for the Cats on our showroom floor. It looks a little nicer not to have the seat off when they're out there.[/b]
Thanks!! :thumbsup: BTW....which showroom? I see you're not too far from me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing what charger your using for this (maybe a link or brand & model).

I just lost a battery when the temps got down to 0 a few weeks ago. This 650 is a cold blooded beast at anything under about 20F.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AirJunky @ Feb 3 2007, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd be interested in seeing what charger your using for this (maybe a link or brand & model).

I just lost a battery when the temps got down to 0 a few weeks ago. This 650 is a cold blooded beast at anything under about 20F.[/b]
I'm using a Battery Tender Junior. It's a fully automatic 12 volt 0.75 amp unit. Supplied with the unit are cables to allow a permanent connection and clips for a temporary one. They cost around 25 USD. More specs are at www.batterytender.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
Battery tender chargers are about the best in the business.

I keep one connected to my jetski from the time I put it up in nov til march or april. Same battery has lastest 8 years with a problem. Best 25 bucks I spent since the jetski battey for mine is 110 bucks

·
Registered
44 Posts
How are you guys using your pod receptical? Is that not switched on with your key or is it hot all of the time?

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (topgun @ Feb 4 2007, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How are you guys using your pod receptical? Is that not switched on with your key or is it hot all of the time?[/b]
On all three Cats I've owned, the recp. is always hot.

·
Registered
140 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (acquad700 @ Feb 3 2007, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bigbadbikerdan @ Feb 3 2007, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes. It works flawlessly. That's what I do for the Cats on our showroom floor. It looks a little nicer not to have the seat off when they're out there.[/b]
Thanks!! :thumbsup: BTW....which showroom? I see you're not too far from me.
[/b][/quote]

Kopp Cycles in Batesville, IN. See more at Kopp Cycles Arctic Cat Page. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I installed my 2 battery tenders plus units today and I have to say it is one nice setup. Those quick connect ring connectors are awesome, the pigtail fused connectors are just long enough to connect to the battery and then route under the seat allowing the seat to be on and still having access to plug in. Its a relief to know I won't have a discharged/ low charge battery to surprise me. This is another must have if you leave your battery in during cold weather especially after plowing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've got the Battery Tender Plus and I used the pigtail that has the ring terminal on one end and the two pronged plug on the other, then routed it under the seat so it just hangs out enough to plug in without taking the seat off.

What I wondered when I installed mine is.. The two pronged plug that battery tenders use is the same plug that is under the back of the 650 (at least on the V2). Why couldn't I just plug the battery tender into that plug? Has anyone tried this?

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I have the 06 650v2 and I'm not sure what plug your referring to. Did you try to measure voltage on this plug?? Obviously if its connected to the battery it should measure at least 12 volts. Where is the plug located exactly??

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Take the plug off and put a meter on it and if its the same as measuring across the battery then you could probably plug in , but whats the point , the supplied pigtail will fit under the seat and its easier to connect not to mention its safer than plugging into that wire if your not sure how its wired.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The accessory plug on the back of my TBX is hot only with the key on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts