Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2006 400 fis 4x4 that has been running perfect since 2006. the other day during a ride it all of a sudden lost power and sounded like it was running out of gas. when i would give it throttle it would die. then i restarted it and it would run at idle, but as soon as i gave it throttle it would die. i thought it was a carb issue, so i bought a new carb and its still doing the same thing. if i hold my hand over the air intake end of the carb it runs at full throttle, if i take my hand away it will die. my friend says it lost compression and the motor is toast. what should the compression be? It seems odd it was running fine for years then within seconds its done. is this how engine blow? i never heard any strange noises or anything out of place. i ride this quad at 10-15 mph and change the oil regularly with synthetic oil. any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not enough info but doesn’t sound like a loss of compression. You need a compression gauge to know. I would want to see the compression above 50 psi and ideally around 75 psi.

It sounds like a lack of fuel issue based on your description.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I too think it might be fuel related. Years ago I bought a AC 500 that would run great, then stumble and die. It was crud in the gas tank that would sometimes block off the fuel flow. If it turns out to be fuel, might want to reinstall the old carb.

·
Administrator
36,318 Posts
Read this, it’s a common issue on the Suzuki 400 engine.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Two things that it may be. The pump may be weak or the filter in the tank is partially plugged. Pull the line to the carb and turn over and see if it pumps into a jar.

·
Administrator
36,318 Posts
It’s a vacuum pump.

·
Administrator
7,672 Posts
Its powered by the intake between the carb and the cylinder head. Sounds like the vacuum hose has a leak. It's a pulse powered diaphragm on the carb units. Efi has an in tank pump. i broke one on our 05 500 and it would idle but not much more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its powered by the intake between the carb and the cylinder head. Sounds like the vacuum hose has a leak. It's a pulse powered diaphragm on the carb units. Efi has an in tank pump. i broke one on our 05 500 and it would idle but not much more.
thank you i will look at the lines next

·
Administrator
36,318 Posts
Check the intake boot between carb and top end as well. There is a little nipple that the hose connects to and it gets very brittle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check the intake boot between carb and top end as well. There is a little nipple that the hose connects to and it gets very brittle
I replaced that as well it was really bad. so it will run at idle but as soon as i give it throttle it sputters and dies. if i let off the throttle it will idle. I've replaced the carb, fuel pump and the intake boot...still nothing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i replaced the old intake boot and new lines, still same thing. It runs at idle , but as soon as you give it throttle it dies. any other suggestions?

·
Administrator
36,318 Posts
Have you checked the magnets?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you checked the magnets?
no i haven't. This bike will fire up and idle perfect for hours, as soon as i gibe it ant throttle it acts like its out of gas and dies. If i let off the throttle it will continue to idle. i replaced the carb intake manifold and fuel pump still doing the same thing. do you think the magnets would cause this?

·
Administrator
36,318 Posts
Did you read that thread I posted? Watched the video?
Check the stator outputs?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Before you pull it apart, try this.......

Have a can of carb cleaner handy. As you rev it up, when it starts to stumble, spray some carb cleaner in the intake. Report back what happens.

At this point you're just throwing parts at it. You need to diagnose the problem first. Sometimes part of diagnosing a problem requires trying certain parts but for most diagnosis' you can test things before throwing parts at it. The fact it will rev up when you cover the intake implies it's a fuel problem.

Did you buy a cheap Chinese carb? It would be better to go back to the OE carb. Clean and rebuild it. Most OE carbs can be cleaned without issue.

What does the spark plug tip look like?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts