Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you go (online) to get new bushings. Mine are well past there life expectancy, and have excessive play. A/C wants me to replace the whole component (the clutch cover $90, or the movable sheave $288....) and thats just not going to happen.
I was hoping I could just go to a bearing supply house and pick up a standard bushing, but I thought I'd better ask here first.
All this is for an '88 cougar 500F/C

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,CGooden. Went to their website http://www.wahlracing.com/home.php and they had parts for everything.....except my lowly 108c.....that just too bad. I did a little more searching online and found the movable sheave fibre bushing at dennis kirk. I also ordered some wear buttons since mine seemed to have alittle too much clearance. I took the bushing out of the cover plate, and my local bearing/bushing dealer was able to match it up using the number stamped on the back of the original.
So when everything gets here in a month I'll be able to get thing back together

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I fitted the new bearing to the coverplate, first I had to grind off the crimps that the factory uses to hold the bushing in place ( I used a barrel shaped carbide burr.) Next I used a socket to drive out the old bushing, and used a flat plate of steel to drive in the new bushing, and finished it off using the old bushing ontop of the new one and the plate steel ontop of that....tap tap...pound pound ...and shes in. Staked things in place using a centre punch and its done.
Test fitted on the clutch shaft and wooooo nice and tight, much better than before.
So A/C wanted $90 for a new cover plate....I spent $3.25 for the bushing and about an hours time doing the R&R and going to get the bushing......I'd say I'm ahead $wise
Cover bushing for the comet 108C is #18DU12 standard bushing at any bearing/bushing house.
Still the other bushing to come.....

Update.....

Got the movable face bushing in the mail today, along with 6 new guide buttons.
Got all these parts from Dennis Kirk.
Cleaned up the bushing bore in the movable face using scotchbrite and a small screwdriver.....all of 10 minutes, then I used the red loctite that came with the bushing and lathered it into the bore. Tapped the bushing into the bore using the same flat plate of steel used above, and also used the old bushing to set ontop of the new bushing to finish it off. Test fit on shaft and its definitely a tighter fit than before.
Installed the new guide buttons, and that removed any remaining slop out of the clutch.

Parts and costs for Comet 108C

1. Outer cover bushing Part#18DU12 At any bushing house
2. Movable face bushing Dennis Kirk #38226 (comet#213823A) Dennis kirk had the dimensions of the bushing listed wrong (listed as
1 3/4"in diameter instead of 1 11/16".....I sent them a note about this)
3. Guide buttons Dennis Kirk #38234 (comet #205432A)

1. $3.25
2. $24.00
3. $18.00
4. $25.00 Shipping to Canada
$70.25 and a few hours labour

Not bad for a like new clutch Cat happy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts