Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 74 340 cheetah with 1100miles on it. The question I have for you cat people is should i keep the good working hex clutch or put on the 94C Duster clutch i have and its brand new? is the hex clutch a better preforming clutch or is the duster? thanks guys!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a duster on my 75 440 Cheetah and I really like it. But a hex clutch will work good too as long as it's in good shape. Mine was shot so I replaced it. You should try a little field experiment and do a swap check and see which one works better. Post your findings if you do to help the rest of us out.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think you will be happy with either if the Hex is in good condition. However the hex wears much faster then the duster. The duster is a more sought after clutch for all around riding. Some like the hex for racing applications.

I would go with the duster. Comet did just go out of biz, so those clutches are going to become harder and harder to find.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have a 94c duster on my 500cc Cheetah, and it works good. If I had a nice hex, I'd probably run it for the originality, but mine was shot and the duster was new, and cheap. :chug:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also heard about Hoffco/Comet going out of business, so I decided to send them an e-mail to see what the future holds.....turns out my e-mail was actually answered, and the new owner, CPC out of Janesville WI will resume business in April of 2010. They still have inventory, and will begin selling complete units soon.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Glad they're gonna be back. We need other options for these old timers, other than OEM stuff.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's a hair splitter, this one. Depends on what you want to do with the sled. If all you're after is a reliable slap it on and trail ride it for the next decade rig for a little 30hp sled, the Duster is nice. When you start getting into competition mode, well the hex has an edge here but sometimes the good hot rod parts are hard to find. If you want to ride it some but save the all original hex for the day it's put in a museum, say the sled is only ridden at shows on good days, yeah I've seen that. Go duster again. For ultimate trailer queens competing for show trophies, I know I take points off if the hex is gone. So you got that too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts