Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Alterra 700. For the first 2 years it ran great in all conditions and temperatures. During cold weather now (under 30 degrees), it runs horrible. Misfiring and running very rough. If I warm it up for 10-15 minutes it runs reasonably. Checked the air filter, changed the plug, gasline antifreeze used, injector cleaner. No codes show up on the instrument screen. In warmer weather it runs great......any ideas??

·
Administrator
39,435 Posts
Almost always it is the battery. They get weak over time especially if not kept on a maintainer. They run like crap with a weak battery.

·
Administrator
39,435 Posts
New doesn’t equal good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Everything i have... saw, weed Wacker, other ATV, lawnmower etc uses higher grade gas. However the recommended for an Alterra is regular. I find mine runs poor when I have to use the good gas.

What kind of gas are you using. And I that cold are you putting some antifreeze stuff in the gas to prevent freezing and deal with condensation?

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything i have... saw, weed Wacker, other ATV, lawnmower etc uses higher grade gas. However the recommended for an Alterra is regular. I find mine runs poor when I have to use the good gas.

What kind of gas are you using. And I that cold are you putting some antifreeze stuff in the gas to prevent freezing and deal with condensation?

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
I use regular gas and have used gasoline antifreeze in the cold weather.

·
Registered
139 Posts
what you describe is a typical lean situation , as the air gets colder all engines need a a richer mixture to compensate for more dense cold air. . somehow the efi program may not be optimal for below 30 deg use. should be but sounds like its simply lean. i would search for a possible re flash of the efi mapping for better cold running.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what you describe is a typical lean situation , as the air gets colder all engines need a a richer mixture to compensate for more dense cold air. . somehow the efi program may not be optimal for below 30 deg use. should be but sounds like its simply lean. i would search for a possible re flash of the efi mapping for better cold running.
Thank you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Youre welcome. just one other thought, it could be the temp sensor throwing things off, especially of it used to run well in cold temps.

·
Administrator
39,435 Posts
IAT sensor in the air box.

·
Administrator
39,435 Posts
Sorry throttle body. It’s a T-map sensor.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,002 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts