Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 06V2 at the dealer because it just hates to start in the cold bang your head bang your head They checked it over and everything looked fine.They said it was just too cold (-28 Celsius) anyways I go out to load it up on the trailor,the bike had been outside the shop all day in -24 Celsius and again it would't start.I had this look of disgust on my face and was looking into the showroom at the 700EFI when the service manager comes out and asks whats wrong.I said still won't start for me.He says the batteries are just not strong enough and there is no room to put a bigger one in.So he says try this***as you hit the start button give the pull start a pull at the same time***.Well it fired up first shot and this was after the dash had started flashing "VOLTS" from me cranking the push start.He just smiled at me and went back into the shop. Not worthy: Not worthy: Not worthy: I have tried it again after leaving it out all day in -25 Celsius and she starts. :super_happy: :super_happy: So has anyone else heard of this or tried it.?????????

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ive never done it at the same time (starter and pull rope) but ive started it with the pull start before, and it does start better that way

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
I've got the optional larger battery, it fills the whole tray. Approximately 1/3 larger than the stocker.

Seems to fire up at those temps. In fact, I just did it recently. It does need to crank a little longer than normal though. I use 0W-40, it definitley cranks easier than the 10W-40.

Using the recoil with the starter is a good tip though. If the battery is ever run down for any reason at any temps, the recoil still would help.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Have never done that on my 04 V2 but in temps @ 0 F up here in Northern Maine it starts fine as long as I give full choke and just crack the throttle after the 1st couple revolutions of the engine. ALOT of people say dont touch the throttle, but mine wont start if I dont, and cracking it like stated above she starts at zero & even @ 10 below in an unheated garage.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Mine starts good with whats left of my choke. LOL.

I did have to adjust it though. It wasn't working before at all. And I do agree with the battery statement, it sure seems like it has just enough. I am going to be looking into a new one soon myself.

So AG what battery do you have in yours?

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
kinda makes sence and should be able to start with just the pull starter. when you are turning over the motor and it's taking alot of the "juice" out of the batt, remember it is drawing volts from the cdi which needs i believe around 9-10 constant volts to operate, when just turning on the key and pull starting it's not putting as much stress with no starter on the batt and fires up quicker i would think.

definately a good idea, i never would have thought of it until your dealer brought it up!

·
Registered
232 Posts
i will have to try that after gold prospecting all day and forgetting in my work to start the cat every so often at -30 F sometimes I have to hook the jump started to the battery cuz it kills it with that cold and pull starting at that temp just isnt going to cut if.. tried that took 30 minutes and 3 people to pull her started....

Thanx for the info will have to try that next time vefore I get the jump started I carry on my front rack for that instance..

·
Registered
257 Posts
My buddy had the same problem with his because he stores his quad in an unheated garage as well. He went to his dealer and bought a block heater for his and installed it. It just goes inline with your coolant line. So an hour or so before he wants to start it, he just plugs it in. Works like a charm. I am going to do this to my wifes 500. I don't need it on the 700 but if I did put it on it as well, I'm sure it would be much easier on it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mitchman

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stryker_FO @ Jan 31 2007, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i will have to try that after gold prospecting all day and forgetting in my work to start the cat every so often at -30 F sometimes I have to hook the jump started to the battery cuz it kills it with that cold and pull starting at that temp just isnt going to cut if.. tried that took 30 minutes and 3 people to pull her started....

Thanx for the info will have to try that next time vefore I get the jump started I carry on my front rack for that instance..[/b]
In cold climate situations, I'd be looking at installing a second auxiliary battery. It wouldn't be expensive nor difficult to do. I'd use an inexpensive but robust lawn tractor battery $25.00 to $35.00. Find a durable plastic container that will hold the battery and probably mount it forward on the front rack. Run a set of ten or eight gauge wires to the main battery and use quick disconnects on the auxiliary battery. I prefer to use a battery box slightly larger than the batter so that I can line it with Styrofoam. It helps reduce vibration and shock to the battery and will keep it warm for a while. The quick disconnects are nice for removing the battery to bring it inside to keep it warm. Remember to make sure the battery is securely fastened to the machine. You don't want it bouncing around.

It's inexpensive and very effective.

·
Registered
122 Posts
my 04 is hard to start in the cold, but it starts, I have done this to my boys scrambler, the battery just doesn't have enough when cold. or just pull start it, it starts easier than with the battery. Tried it on my buddies sportsman up at eagle river, but no luck starting that one. Does anyone run one of those newer gel batteries in the winter? I put them in the jet ski's but wonder if they are good in the winter time, or do they freeze?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have one of these http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm , it has a lot of cranking power. The V2 is a little tricky, don't touch the gas. I think by pulling the rope while cranking it, you're reducing the demand on the battery, and it seems to start easier due to the choke being on. I think you need more cranking power, as it's willing to run if it rolls over fast enough.

·
Registered
60 Posts
some machines have a primer pump on the bottom of the carb pump it obout three times and it will start right up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My '07 H-1 doesn't like to start when it's cold out . The side cover must be removed and the primer worked about 6 times. The machine I discovered ( after I got it home), did not have a recoil, (wtf) , but it will have one if I keep it. This machine is having a hard time living up to the reputation of the '03 500 , Which I still have (thankfully) . The 500 will start at below 0 easily, even with the recoil only

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bluethumb,
Does the Odyssey PC680 you have fit in the V2 no problem? I am looking to replace the weak battery in the V2 also and prefer a sealed design.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I know my next addition to my Cat will be the in-line hose heater mine sits outside a lot in the winter time under a cover and there are days I wonder if it will start when it is -10 to -20 temps it does fire up but a hose heater would make it a lot easier on it

·
Registered
474 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ary26 @ Feb 1 2007, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bluethumb,
Does the Odyssey PC680 you have fit in the V2 no problem? I am looking to replace the weak battery in the V2 also and prefer a sealed design.[/b]
Not sure about the 650 V2, but it'll fit in my 400 battery box no problem. You'd have to measure it tao make sure. The specs are on the site. Some bikes have the winch contactor mounted in there as well, so it could be tight.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (trailhawk @ Feb 1 2007, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know my next addition to my Cat will be the in-line hose heater mine sits outside a lot in the winter time under a cover and there are days I wonder if it will start when it is -10 to -20 temps it does fire up but a hose heater would make it a lot easier on it[/b]
Another thing that works great is a oil pan heater. You just slap it on the bottom of your oil pan, then plug it in and it warms your oil. I used one in Alaska and thought it worked better then a block heater even. :chug:

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
That would work great if you could get to the bottom of the motor to stick it on there, there is a skid plate in the way so a magnet heater isn't really an option unless you just stick in in front of the motor by the oil Filter to try and warm things up that way, thats why I figured a hose heater would be the hot ticket

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just hooked up that Odyssey PC680 tonight. Measurements were very close. I had to move a few wires around, as the + and - connectors were opposite from my stocker. First impressions, this thing has a LOT of cranking power. It was -10 out, and it spun it over like it was warm. Little pricey, but worth it IMO. Can't use the factory hold down without some mods, as it's a lot longer than stock. Worth it though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts