Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to start my 650v2 today(temp about 15 degrees outside) anyway I had a hard time starting it finally got it started but twice my belt indicator came on. Does anyone know why this would happen? The bike was in neutal. Bike is 31 days old with 81 miles on it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think mine has a service belt light that comes on at a certian time or milage..may be what yours is doing..Just a guess

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi,
I just got a V2 3 weeks ago, and have 67 miles on it. Im sorry to hear you have a hard time starting it cold. I live in Northern Maine, and it's been 10 degrees or below for high temps and at night -20 below or more, and it starts fine.

Alot of people say DONT touch the throttle when cold starting, but the only way mine WILL start is full choke, and after a couple turnovers of the engine I just crack the throttle (less than 1/8), and it fires, chugs a second and then idles high as it should w/ full choke. As it starts to "load up" back the choke off but keep a little pressure on the throttle to maintain an idle and after a minute or two it'll idle low, but fine w/ no choke and no throttle.
Again I just crack it, and I dont let up on the starter til she fires up. I know another guy up here and if he doesnt crack the throttle she wont start. Also if he lets off the starter before it fires, it's VERY hard to start so try the above "procedure" and see how it goes.

Now onto the belt indicator. On mine it states the light will come on at 100 miles, or 10hrs as a reminder to inspect during the initial 100 mile / 10 hr check, when you do the 1st oil and filter and retorque etc. I think that's what youre experiencing. If you go to the tech section of this forum you'll see ALOT of good info on the V2. There's also a post that includes the entire service manual for download. Not the owners manual but the shop service manual. It, like this site is very helpful. Hope this helps you enjoy the Big V2 Kitty! :thumbsup:

If you have trouble finding the download PDF manual sent me a PM w/ your email address & I'll send you the link or if you want I can send the manual section by section as an attachments in an email. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Thats how my 650v2 starts , full choke and when it starts and starts to load up I stay on the throttle for a little bit then it idles fine. I've had to do this same procedure after trailering for some strange reason , even when its not cold out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ive heard some issues w/ the V2 to make sure the fuel valve is all the way shut off when trailering. Im not sure why, but I know it's a concern w/ them. I dunno

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not a shut off on the 06 v2..but if snorkel i was told it can ram air down the air intake and cause it to start it to flood..juat a thought

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yikes sorry about that. Mine's an 04, I didnt know there was no fuel valve. Sorry for the mistake I dunno

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Nope no snorkel all stock except for a dynatek cdi, also no gas shutoff its an 06, it will always start as long as I choke it unless its already warmed up then I just need a little throttle and it starts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
my 500 did the same thing this winter, however mine was due to the battery being almost dead. I charged it up, worked fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
I concur with tnewguy. My 500 had the same problem. Battery low...belt light on. Charged it and light is off. Probably just a system self check type of thing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mine had done the same thing, when i was trying to start, i run the battery down a bit so when it finaly started the light was flashing for a second or 2 but after i fully charged battery back up , no problem since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts