Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crossfire 800 2008 motor blew up New Years weekend took it to the dealership got a new crate motor. I was happy with the job. First weekend put 280 miles on it with no problems, Second weekend 160 miles with temps in the teens no problems, Third weekend put 290 miles on it a 300 mile loop. Stop to take a half hour break. Got 8 miles down the trail and the lights went out sled died. Lost compression on the mag side of the block.

Took it back to the dealership they said motor was cold seized and would not cover warranty,they said they sent pictures to Arctic Cat and they said the motor was cold seized. ( would like to know how the motor could cold seized in temps in the mid 20 on Feb 9th in the UP only had 12 miles to go used 2 1/2 qt of oil so it was getting good oil lubrication. Not Happy

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
What happened to the first motor? sorry to hear about the bad luck.. These motors are tough..

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Who is your dealer?

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
693 Posts
cold siezed means you ran the motor hard without letting it warm up to opetating temperture. it scuffs the piston in multiple areas and sticks the rings in the ring lands.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cold seizure occurs when you start a cold sled and take off befored the thermostat has opened to circulate coolant to the rear exchanger. As the motor warns up, the block and piston rings expand like the should. Then the thermo opens and the cold coolant that was in the exchanger hits the block and the block shrinks. The rings do not shrink and hence are too tight in the piston and hence seizes under hard throttle.

That is why my sleds do not move until I feel the exchanger warming up....means the thermo has opened.

Seen it many times.....guys fire up a sled that has been sitting and take off right away.

Reactions: Wolfietwo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What happened to the first motor? sorry to hear about the bad luck.. These motors are tough..
The piston skirt broke and took out the crank and bottom case.

This is not my first sled, My ZRT had over 10,000 + miles no problems, my F7 I rebuilt the motor at 17,000 miles two years ago have over 24,000 miles on it now. I always let my sled warm up. The CF 800 was a 300 mile trip stop for a break after 290 miles then 8 miles down the trail it stopped with only 12 miles to go. Rode for 12 hours.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the same "cold seize" trouble with my '07 Crossfire 8. I'm religious about letting my sled warm up. I will definitely wait 'til the heat exchangers are warm to move it after this.

Did you get time to check your injectors?

Does anyone else know of other causes for cold seizure than the obvious warm up time? I don't want to put new pistons and a jug on and have it seize again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts