Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1975 Arctic Cat Jag 340, 2003 Honda Fourtrax ES TRX350
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working through a no start condition on a '75 Jag 340. (kawasaki) One plug wasn't firing, among multiple other issues I'm plowing through. Part of my ignition troubleshooting was to remove and test the coils but noticed they give different readings: left (clutch side) coil: secondary windings on the 20k scale reads 952 and the other coil reads 1057. Tested frame to plug boot and frame to "hot" wire, same numbers. Infinity on the ground to frame. Forgot to test between hot wire and plug boot but that's tomorrow morning after tossing new plugs at it.

This machine used to have points, I think, and somebody installed an electronic ign kit at some point. Installed well and all the wiring looks free of cracks etc. Trimmed the plug wire and reinstalled the nearly new NGK boots.

Should I be hunting for a new set of coils, or is the variance within reason for these? I checked connectors etc for continuity, they check out good. Installing new clear fuel line as well tomorrow and might pull the carb float bowl for a peek.

· Registered
225 Posts
For Ignition coils, not too sure about readings and their acceptable variance range.

For me, I would re-install and:
  • swap spark plugs. Does problem follow a specific plug?
  • Next, swap coils. Does problem follow a specific coil?

Do your see same / steady current flow into each coil?

Also... Don't trust Spark Plugs. Many years ago, I had brand new Spark Plugs and the one plug would spark outside engine but when installed, it didn't spark. Rare but does happen. For plugs, I like using NGK brand the best. Champion plugs tent to create hotter temps.

Many years ago, I had a different sled and its kill switch got inner rust / corrosion (and would sometimes short out). With this in mind, try disconnecting its kill switch - to zero out this possible problem area as well....

Hope these ideas help....

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to clarify a couple points... I am planning to at least clean the carb and verify fuel flow while cranking. (I have a potent 1/2 inch drill that spins her over nicely) Might even rig up a primer? And I'll be plugging the holes and pressure testing it as well before I use it in anger, but I aim to just make it live and breathe first. Will confirm spark and fuel tomorrow, then away we go... Haven't lifted it up yet and expect the track etc will have plenty of bed sores.

It appears to be just about the easiest engine on the planet to pull which would also make removing the squirrel debris a breeze. Might decide to do that. And somebody mentioned easy to find online parts. I'd be mighty grateful for some leads on that. Gotta sled wrecker nearby in Lac la Hache, but he's been picked pretty bare from what I'm told. Wreckers are salt of the earth IMO.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For Ignition coils, not too sure about readings and their acceptable variance range.

For me, I would re-install and:
  • swap spark plugs. Does problem follow a specific plug?
  • Next, swap coils. Does problem follow a specific coil?

Do your see same / steady current flow into each coil?

Also... Don't trust Spark Plugs. Many years ago, I had brand new Spark Plugs and the one plug would spark outside engine but when installed, it didn't spark. Rare but does happen. For plugs, I like using NGK brand the best. Champion plugs tent to create hotter temps.

Many years ago, I had a different sled and its kill switch got inner rust / corrosion (and would sometimes short out). With this in mind, try disconnecting its kill switch - to zero out this possible problem area as well....

Hope these ideas help....
Good advice young feller! I've had many, many plugs either fail outright, or after a dozen hours or so. More and more it seems. But fortunately these bigger NGK plugs seem immune, for now. BR8ES were in this little sewing machine and that's what I bought. The toolkit had about 20 rusty old B8ESs rolling around so they must be correct. Brand new belt under the seat, but its been there for at least 12 years, likely more.

· Registered
225 Posts
For online Sled and/or ATV parts, I often:
I often use Google and search for parts as well. Thus, confirming exact part numbers as well. And with confirmed part number, one can confirm different year of sled fittings. For example: For my ATV, I was able to buy a battery cover from different year of ATV. Thus, allowing greater search and price comparisons...

One's local regional PowerSports retail stores (using Google to find their exact store locations) can still order vintage sled parts as well. Especially wear/tear 3rd party items like tracks, brake pads and belts.

I often search Kijiji ( Kijiji - Buy, Sell & Save with Canada's #1 Local Classifieds ) for sled parts (like hood replacements, windshield replacements or even "donor / parting out" vintage sleds for parts) as well...

Note: For my current 1999 Yamaha sled, I was able to buy 6 x 5L jugs of sealed 2-stroke sled oil for 1/3 retail selling price from Kijiji . Every saved dime matters....

Hope this helps as well....

· Registered
225 Posts
Forgot to mention...

For your exact year/make/model of sled, do buy a Service Manual for it. I found my 1999 Sled's Service Manual on Amazon.ca Yes. The Service Manual may cost a few dollars but its loaded with all sorts of great info - from torque specs, to diagrams, to maintenance schedules, to all sorts of different Technical things.

When I bought my current 1999 sled (bought it pre-owned many years ago) I brought it home Thursday night, tore it down to its shell before Friday night and on Saturday morning, I had a list of confirmed needed parts. re: Slider rails, 1 boogie/idler wheel bearing and an inside tank fuel filter. Even with previous tech sled skills, I still bought a Service Manual for it and today, its got oil finger marks on its many different pages, Thus, I recommend Service Manual for all....

And, You Tube is a great place to learn SLED tech areas as well. re: Carb Cleaning to track alignment tricks to other great "real videos" as well.... And with You Tube video clips, remember to read their lower comments - to learn even more info as well... This works for me as well....

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again. I've been surfing a fair bit already but it appears the kawasaki faded from memory rather quickly after 76, along with parts, in favour of the suzuki. I'ma guanna keep an eye out for one, just in case. Tomorrow, after getting it running(!) it gets raised and it's soft underbelly closely inspected. Fingers crossed.

I should have mentioned it almost started at the place where it's been hiding all these years. It feels like it wants to bark again.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Little Lessons...

I've discovered that with each search for really vintage arctic cat parts google offers up more and more pertinent results. It gets even better as I obtain and use specific part numbers. I guess that's artificial incompetence at work. One must feed the beast first, then it grudgingly coughs up.

I'm not entirely sure Ilike this brave new world... The amazonification of everything. All my life products and services got better and better, now it's the opposite. I'm somewhat consoled that at least most of the parts I need are made prior to this race to the bottom.

\rant

A good excuse to post another pic!

Edit: note the oil weeping around the head. These are currently pics taken prior to any work commencing.

Attachments

· Registered
225 Posts
As a suggestion.... For its oil on its head area, I would simply clean the area with tooth brush / shop soap and give it a try. That old oil could be from 10 years usage. If it leaks (shows oil) in future, then investigate head gasket replacement. Either way, simple fix....

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The coils worked but it's yet to actually start. Full of storage oil I dumped in to cure what ailed at the time. I've decided that after getting the Kawasaki to run, I'm going to swap in a 440 fanned Suzuki. Maybe a 500?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might be interested in that motor for my Jag if you follow through with a swap...
I have access to several free air kawasakis, as yet of unknown condition, but almost everything I poked at turned. Your first in line for this one. I might pull it today and clean it out. Take a peek through the exhaust too...

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pulled the carb again, just in case and it's clean as a whistle. Am I safe using 1-1/2 turns out for the idle mix and one full turn in after contacting the cylinder for the idle? I really shoulda remembered to scoop another starter assy while I were in sled heaven yesterday... the spring is broken on this one.

Might try and bend a holder tab and see what happens. I'm tired of wrapping the emergency rope over and over and over. Lol. But Ihave crisp blue zappies on both plugs and the arc jumps a 1/4" gap on my sparkie checker. Purging the gallons of storage oil is a slow process without a recoil...

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot about this thread! My apologies for not updating until now... seems like years, what with viruses, elections, wars etc meantime. I parked the sled next to my shed, under a tarp as often happens with these old machines but, was encouraged the other day to take another look at it. Ice fishing leads to no end of needs and I really need a sled!

I bought a used Suzuki 340 with CD ignition on Wednesday and have it installed but, of course nothing matches up to the sled. I'll be pulling the entire harness out of the donor at the wrecking yard on Monday, hopefully that will male troubleshooting easier. The CD controller may not work, the stator could be fritzed, the external coil might be hooped, I dunno... can't find any details on bench testing those parts unfortunately. But having the correct wiring etc should help. I'll get it going eventually.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should have said: one of the coils under the flywheel in the kawasaki had turned into spaghetti. It's amazing I was getting any spark at all but parts etc made repair uneconomic. However the suzuki is in and is waiting on the correct harness. Otherwise a good fit. So far no spark but that may be entirely operator error. Replacement parts out of a 76 jag 3000.

Attachments

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The wrecker over here has been a goldmine for parts. If you're ever stuck lemme know and I'll poke around. This little sled accelerates hard and goes like the clappers now. It just loves banking and carving turns and is great on tight, narrow trails. Its very forgiving and responds very well to shifting weight in all directions. Love it... Got the lights etc wired up with a new harness and will be building a U1 battery box and some storage mods over summer.

I was bestowed the award for the coolest, most retro sled on the lake! By a huge crowd of at least 3 other guys ice fishing.

Attachments

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm off to the sled wrecker in a couple days, for some bits and pieces to completely complete the restoration. I'll rifle around the heap and take some pics, will post em here, for your perusal.

The seat is a big ask but... the vendor has more than one secret stash.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts