Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok would you clutch a sled diferently if the riders are of diferent weight

Lets say I weigh 260LBS and love the way the sled pulls

Would a guy of 170LBS need the same clutching as me

Sorry for sounding french but do see what I mean

Would clutching need to be changed

I would gather a sled clutched for a 170pounder would feel sluggish to me ?

I gather top end might lose 2-3mph but how would the midrange be compromised?

Or does weight of a rider have little effect

·
Registered
249 Posts
It would somewhat depend on the sled. A big HP sled won't change much if any. The smaller sleds
say up to 700 would be noticable.
Sledjunky's set their clutch kits up according to the sled, Mods, Alt. Track length and rider weight.
All important factors when clutching a sled.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I was told that for my size 6'4" 300+ lbs I should go with a slightly lower finish angle on my helix. I went from a 60/50 to a 60/40. I haven't had a chance to try it yet to see what the difference is though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
all else being equal, you can run a little more weight with a light rider on our 600's. i weigh 155, my brother weighs 225, there's a big difference in performance when he rides my sled.

·
Banned
252 Posts
clutxching aside, that much of a weight difference is definatley worth 3-5 sleds both on perfect setups for each individual. With that aside a sled setup for the 260 guy will underrev with the 170 guy on it. And hence witht the 260 guy on the 170 setup it will over rev. YES a smaller finish angle wil help and this is why. With the heavier LOAD on the drive train the likely hood of the belt slipping is more likely to happen, by reducing the finish # or throughout the helix 60-50 to a 58-46 will give more grip. Its similar to a car shifting thru the gears with a heavy load you run out the gears to max rpm or near it. Then shift as to prevent a bog while upshifting. Usually tho you can adjust the secondary spring for most weight changes. less spring for heavy guy on the light sled and more for the light guy on the heavy guys sled.

This same thing will aply to studs and no studs, the traction will load the motor more and find the next weakest link in the drive line, Which is usually belt grip once you've eliminated the trackspin. So you will be over reving since your slipping the belt. So just by adding traction you will have to add primary weight, and may have to reduce helix if heat is still an issue after you regain your proper rpms.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SLEEPERF7 @ Jan 19 2007, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
clutxching aside, that much of a weight difference is definatley worth 3-5 sleds both on perfect setups for each individual. With that aside a sled setup for the 260 guy will underrev with the 170 guy on it. And hence witht the 260 guy on the 170 setup it will over rev. YES a smaller finish angle wil help and this is why. With the heavier LOAD on the drive train the likely hood of the belt slipping is more likely to happen, by reducing the finish # or throughout the helix 60-50 to a 58-46 will give more grip. Its similar to a car shifting thru the gears with a heavy load you run out the gears to max rpm or near it. Then shift as to prevent a bog while upshifting. Usually tho you can adjust the secondary spring for most weight changes. less spring for heavy guy on the light sled and more for the light guy on the heavy guys sled.

This same thing will aply to studs and no studs, the traction will load the motor more and find the next weakest link in the drive line, Which is usually belt grip once you've eliminated the trackspin. So you will be over reving since your slipping the belt. So just by adding traction you will have to add primary weight, and may have to reduce helix if heat is still an issue after you regain your proper rpms.[/b]
So if someone where to ride my sled

I am 260 and have my sled set up to rev 8300

My 190lbs bros would underev

or would it not be as noticeable

I swapped sleds(ZR6/SXr7) this weekend with another fellow about 70-80lbs lighter

the results where basically the same with his sled being a touch faster on top end but my midrange was stronger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts