Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new primary clutch for my 99 ZRT 600 its toast bang your head I start them every week weather they ( I ) need it or not but last week when I did this the zrt's primary clutch stuck closed I had a hell of a time getting it to open to get the belt off anyway I was going to rebuild it but I'm hearing alot that I should just replace it but I'm also hearing that I should go with a 6 tower instead of the 9 tower thats on it now. but won't that screw with my shifting and how will this benefit........ any ideas, Thanks Don

·
Registered
261 Posts
When is the last time the clutch was serviced. They should be taken apart and cleaned every season. My guess is that the bushings in the weights are wore out and causing the weights to shift to one side and stick the clutch. the other area of consern is the bushings in the moveable clutch face. There are two of them, one in the cover and the other in the moveable face. Depending on mileage they may also be woren down to a point that it is binding. Taking the clutch to a dealer for a rebuild will probbaly cost more than getting a new one from ebay or elseware. Fo instance a button kit for the spider will run close to 88 dollars and then the labor for installing it. you are close to 200 at this point and if you beed to have the bushings replaced in the weights will cost another 25 plus labor, etc....

There are some places that sell new uncalabrated clutches for 225.00 This may be the better option and just installr your clabration parts if they are still useable.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6Mile @ Jan 25 2007, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When is the last time the clutch was serviced. They should be taken apart and cleaned every season. My guess is that the bushings in the weights are wore out and causing the weights to shift to one side and stick the clutch. the other area of consern is the bushings in the moveable clutch face. There are two of them, one in the cover and the other in the moveable face. Depending on mileage they may also be woren down to a point that it is binding. Taking the clutch to a dealer for a rebuild will probbaly cost more than getting a new one from ebay or elseware. Fo instance a button kit for the spider will run close to 88 dollars and then the labor for installing it. you are close to 200 at this point and if you beed to have the bushings replaced in the weights will cost another 25 plus labor, etc....

There are some places that sell new uncalabrated clutches for 225.00 This may be the better option and just installr your clabration parts if they are still useable.[/b]

Nope just put new cam weights with new bushings and new spring and cleaned everything else back in the summer I'm leaning towards the moveable face sheild but don't have the tools to take the spider out and your right it would cost more to rebuild it by takeing it to a dealer. but I've already talked to Dan about a new 9 tower. Thanks Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.