Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so it started end of last season my belt seemd to be sticking in my drive clutch not allowing me to stop the machine without it stalling or start it without it driving forward on me, i realized my belt had seen better days so i switched it. Thinking a new belt would solve the problem i hadd out first ride this year and still same problem. Seems the Drive Clutch doesent want to give up the belt so i cant start the sled without it moving and cant sto without the sled stalling. I currently have a 2000 ZL600. Am I in need of a new clutch, or can it somehow be adjusted?

please help!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
When my sled did this the arm bushings were worn so bad the weights were hanging up on the spider.
How many miles on the sled ?
Have you checked the belt deflection (tension) ?
I think a broken spring can cause this also.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Instead of trying to fix the old clutch, just put a new one on. When clutches hang up, they usually take out more than just the replaceable parts, so in short, it's time for a new one. Dont throw good money to bad as they say, even if you repair this one, some other part is gonna break soon. Rebuilding your current clutch may cost you more than a new one. Clutches are good for 5000 to 7000 miles on average (with good care)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the sled has about 5400 miles on it so the clutch might just be worn out, as far as installing a new one and balancing, Is this somehting i should justhave the dealer do? And are all clutches standard or should i be searching for one off my exact sled. Im assuming one from a 600 in the years around mine would work?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would have the clutch serviced, cleaned by the dealer or someone who knows their way around. Bought a sled, ZL700, that the guy said just had the clutch done. Same problem after only 150 miles, creeping, stalling having to lift the sled to get started. Finaly noticed why, the bushing on the movable sheave was coming out. Pulled the clutch, got the bushing, oops, the idiot that serviced the clutch didn't put the thrust washers in. spider wrecked. You could also see that the bushing had been fiddled with. bang your head :angry: bang your head Ordered one from catdeals.com, 225.00 us plus shipping. Better and cheaper than trying to fix the idiots boo boos. :devil_angry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts