Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 99 zl600efi with 50.5 gram weights, 51 degree helix, and a red/white secondary spring and running a yellow/white primary..I really like this setup but am finding that my engagement rpm is around 5200rpm. I thought that I would tone down the backshift by going back to the yellow secondary and it definitely has...I would like to know if 5000rpm+ for engagement is too high?...The original primary spring in there was a pure yellow spring and believe me, I checked several times now changed to yellow/white...Topend rpms are ok at 8500 but how can I lower my engagement rpms?.................. . I also have another zl 600 with a 49 gram weights, 49 degree helix, and yellow/white primary, and yellow secondary and its engagement is around 4500rpm ...Would putting in an orange/white primary bring the rpms down?thanks to all :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
978 Posts
If your engagement is that high with the yellow white primary spring you need to check the clutch and clutch weight bushings. Normally the orange white spring brings engagement to about 5000 which helps get you off the line but, with the yellow you should be around 4500.

After reading again, it sounds like someone was playing with your clutch setup. Are the weights notched? If so that would explain the higher engagement.

·
Registered
215 Posts
engagement seems abnormaly high for that spring/weight combo. before making any changes check your weight bushings for wear and make sure they swing freely on the pin.
orange/white will engage even higher than the yellow/white.
5200 is a little on the high side, but not too bad. not much torque under 5K.

·
Registered
721 Posts
5000 isnt to high. i have a heartthrob clutch kit that engages at 6500 on my 600 efi. it took some getting used to but i love it! im not sure what my weights are, its been a while since i had it installed.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, i am gonna check and make sure my weights are swinging freely and nothing is sticking....I don't think my weights are notched but I will check........Is there a way to calculate your engagement rpms?....So a heavier spring will increase engagement rpms, and more weight reduces them....And a heavier secondary increases backshift and your helix controls where your secondary shifts on the power band?????.........Please give me more insight to how this all works...................thanks to all welcome call :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
208 Posts
1998 ZR 600 EFI
my setup:
yellow/white primary spring
50 gram weights
57/50 helix
yellow secondary spring

my engagement is right at 5000rpm
excellent trail manners with this setup

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well checked out my weights and found them to be tight..For some reason, the bushings are gone already at about 600miles on the kit...I guess when you have it geared up a little bit, these things don't last as long........thanks to all :beer_cheers:
EDSLED you were right on the money...thanks very much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts