Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 zr 800 efi with almost 10,000 mi. on it. My question is should I relace the clutch(s). The primary has visable wear on the sheaves where the belt rides but the secondary looks good but there is slop in the keyway on the driveshaft. I've tried replacing the key with no success, still sloppy.

What should I do...

Replace both clutches with new and start over fresh?
Get the clutches balanced and gone over?

Any other ideas are welcome.

I am currently in the process of fully rebuilding my motor top to bottom so I have all summer to do so.

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, thats an awesome deal on the new clutch also. I'm in the process of ordering it now.

Thanks again.

Chuck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it was my dads. He just blew it up at the end of the year and gave it to me. He went and bought a crossfire 800 snopro. I couldn't turn the deal down...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it normal to have slop in the keyway of the clutch when installed? When I put the key in the slot in the clutch it is pretty sloppy like it is worn quite a bit. Will this be alright? I tested it with a brand new key. I have a new driveshaft I am going to install this weekend.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
95 Posts
The keyway/key is loose on my 98 zr600 as well as my buddy's, seems excessive but must be normal, I would say replace the two bushings in the secondary and also the rollers, and the spring if your gonna re-do the other clutch. As I experienced earlier in the year replace the primary bolt also if your gonna re-do the primary clutch, mine failed at 6000 miles and at 7000 rpm in the middle of the bush spun around in the compartment and busted a couple things etc.etc. Was funny as my riding partner kept on riding about 5 miles further since he was ahead of me at the time and never looked back so I was stuck there for a while late at night! It is ez for you to do the secondary, but I would get the primary looked at professionally.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I picked up a new primary from KenSports (same price) and installed it using the old weights (with fresh new bushings) and new spring. It was an easy job and worked out really well. Probably the less than it would have cost the dealer to rebuild the old clutch (parts and labor). The secondary was a cinch to rebuild as well. New spring, rollers, bushings, and helix set me back just under $100. All in all, the job was quite easy, rewarding and gives me peace of mind while driving my 8 year old sled.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a new primary and installed a new (newer) drive shaft from the secondary to the chain case. This took almost all of the slop out of the keyway on the brake hub and a little out of the secondary. I still feel the secondary is excessive but I will work with what I have. I am planning on replacing the bushings in the secondary. Everything else is fairly new, I put a goodwin clutch kit in it last year. Also new rollers in the secondary. Its finally coming back together now, I should have the crank and heads back this week sometime. Just in time for summer... Thanks for the help.

Chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts