Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 arctic cat 400 with 25" itp 589's and i am currently running a 1mm shim. i want to switch to a clutch kit but not sure what to get im stuck between these 2: the dalton clutch kit from the 500(i was told it would fit in my 400), and a highlifter oultaw super duty. what would be the best one, i was leaning more towards the dalton cuz my buddie has one and he said it works great. all help is appreciated

·
Registered
117 Posts
don't waste your money buying a whole kit. buy you a spring for 20 to 30 bucks and drill out your rollers you will save alot of money. unless you don't feel like messing with that. i messed up and got the whole kit from epi and found that i didn't need the wet clutch springs. only good thing about buying the rollers is that they come in the right weight. drilling them its hard to get it exact. i drilled out my friends rollers 4 1/4 holes in each roller and it made a big change....research before you buy my friend

Reactions: dcleland25

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ok i was going to buy a lime green spring from speedwerx, my stock roller weights are 17grams,i was thinking about drilling 2 1/4" holes in 4 of them and leaving the other 4 stock.could this be a good setup? should i drill 2 in all 8? or drill 4 holes in all 8 rollers or just 4 rollers?

·
Registered
117 Posts
drilling 1/4 all the way through takes away i believe 1 gram. i would just drill 4 rollers and go from there go buy you a small scale that weighs in grams....think of it like this its like making concrete its easier to add water than it is to take it out...

·
Administrator
42,248 Posts

Use the primary sleeve as an anvil to tap your rollers out of the sleeves using a 14mm socket

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got my speedwerx clutch kit for 27" tires. I have a 05 400. What I thought was interesting is that they supplied wet clutch springs, the lime green secondary and new weights. When I ordered the kit I assumed I was getting the complete weight with new casings which are supposed to be slightly smaller in diameter to allow the clutch to open up and drop the gear ratio.

That's not the deal for the 400, at least an 05. So now I need to figure out if I can shim out the primary and get away with that.

Second issue is this, I do a fair amount of rock climbing with this bike and I find myself balancing the bike on 2 or 3 wheels more often than I care for. If I do install the wet clutch springs and raise my stall speed rpm I will loose that accurate throttle tickling that I need to get myself out of my balancing situations.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
42,248 Posts
I wouldn't use the wet clutch springs. It will raise your engagement by three hundred rpm...... Not good for slow technical stuff. 25g-21g or 23g-19g is what I have run and I prefer the latter. For shimming google coop45 mod

·
Registered
117 Posts
i think you can only go up to 2mm on the shims i put mine at 1.5mm at 2 i didn't think i had enough teeth for the fix plate to grab..and you should only drill 2 holes in each roller i did mine free hand then i went and got me a drill press because i broke a couple of bits drilling them out and the drill press makes the hole precise..im actually bout to drill my epi rollers out they are at 20g now i think im going to try the 19g.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
i think you can only go up to 2mm on the shims i put mine at 1.5mm at 2 i didn't think i had enough teeth for the fix plate to grab..and you should only drill 2 holes in each roller i did mine free hand then i went and got me a drill press because i broke a couple of bits drilling them out and the drill press makes the hole precise..im actually bout to drill my epi rollers out they are at 20g now i think im going to try the 19g.
Try 17s work real well with laws

Reactions: J2L4U

·
Administrator
42,248 Posts
Read my post above^^^^^^

·
Administrator
42,248 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
if anyone has some 17g rollers or 18 or slip 18,16 for sale or know where to get some please let me know

·
Administrator
42,248 Posts
Just drill yours??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agreed about the wet clutch springs, i'm going to pass on installing those. I need to get a scale to see what size came in the speedwerx kit as they dont specify what they gave me.

I actually did a bad thing today though and came home with a new mudpro 700. Actually not a bad thing though, i'm pretty pumped. Just another member to the fleet.

Still got to fix up the 400, think I will get er done tonight so my buddies have something to ride. I will let you know how things work out with the lime green spring, weights and 1.5 mm shim.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.