Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many claims out there from all the different manufactures of clutch kits.

Can anyone recommend a good clutch kit for a 2000 triple touring 600 (stretched ZRT if you will).

I see that Hammer Time claims to be the best clutch kit made. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Machine is stock except for studs and duel runner carbides upfront.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

·
Registered
479 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PurplePowerLube @ Jan 14 2007, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There are so many claims out there from all the different manufactures of clutch kits.

Can anyone recommend a good clutch kit for a 2000 triple touring 600 (stretched ZRT if you will).

I see that Hammer Time claims to be the best clutch kit made. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Machine is stock except for studs and duel runner carbides upfront.

Thanks in advance.

Ben[/b]
I have a friend who has this setup running for 2 years ..on a 00zrt6 w/ 2000 miles.. and will stay with any 6 or 7 class sled for 700 + ft all day. Trail manners , are more than acceptable.

http://www.ddracing.com/03-show_item.asp?ID=692
New belt a must.
Drive Belts;
ID: 0627-010

Make sure you jet according to there recommendations for your alt.
Best to Call early am or late pm .

98-00 ZRT 600 Stock Pipe Clutch Kit
ID: 200-6303

http://www.ddracing.com/03-show_item.asp?ID=198

Power Breather
ID: 700-001BP
http://www.ddracing.com/03-show_item.asp?ID=170

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If I may ask why you are looking for a clutch kit for a 00' Triple Touring? The stock clutching was decent to me because it fit a wide range of riding with one or two people aboard. The bottom-end is alittle sluggish but afterall it is a 2-up. I put a set of D&D Trail Pipes on it along with a timing key/V-Force reeds/Power Breather, this combo really woke the sled up. I put my secondary spring in the last hole to the right (highest RPM), it ran right up to about 9200-9300 rpm range. If you are clutching to wake the sled up, I don't think you will ever get it close enough to make you happy. Just my experience with the same sled/ 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always heard that a clutch kit is one of the best (and least expensive ways) to improve your sleds performance. My understanding (and Im a newbee when it comes to clutching) is that the idea is to get as much of the engines existing power to the track as opposed to diving into the engine to get more power only to run your new found power through a less effecient drive system.

Having said that, if you think the stock clutching is good and that there is very little to gain in the areas of up and back shifting and the efficient use of the engines stock horsepower then I wont bother.

I was under the impression that a good quality clutch kit would enhance my sleds performance and possibly improve its fuel economy.

Im not looking to have the fastes touring machine on the lake however if a clutch kit and power breather will help the engine and drive train run more efficiently then Im all for it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated for sure.

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohh one other question.

These engines really run up this high (9200 to 9300 rpm)??? I thought the highest rpm you would want to run on a sled engine was around 8500.

I thought there was a limitation in how fast you could spin the clutch.

I had no idea these engines would turn up this fast. It must wind out pretty good on a lake?

Ben

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's not uncommon at all for someone to be disappointed with a general clutch kit from any company. The kits are usually set-up/designed with aggressive trail riding in mind however, I believe the kits designed for that sled and that rider are the best. I'm not a clutching guru but I do know the sled in which you are referring to and have extensive experience making it better and faster/aggressive! My question to you was/is, WHY do you want a clutch kit for this sled? What do you wish to change, how it performs in certain rpm ranges, hole shot????? That's the $64,000 question.

P.S. Yeah, with the right combinations 9200 rpm's is nothing for these little mouse motors. The D&D trail pipes performed very well on this sled, it really surprised me how it came out of the tight and twisting curves.

http://ddracing.com/03-show_item.asp?ID=245

1 - 8 of 8 Posts