Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wifes 99 zl 500 clutch is sticking.it doesnt even move at all until 4,500-5k.and the first time we went to take it out it was completely frozen up.it looks like theres a little rust on the shaft under the spring.can i take the clutch off and clean it up.in any event do i have to lift the motor to get the clutch out,it doesnt look like theres enough room to clear the side of the tub.any input would help

·
Registered
192 Posts
No you don't have to pull the engine, but you do need a 3/8 drive, short extention, and a 1/2" 12 point socket to get the primary bolt out....Then you need a clutch puller ( well worth the money) and some other common tools. If you are taking off the Primary it's a good time to pull the secondary and give it the once over as well... Not hard to get off and acount for all the washers in behind the clutch as this gives you your offset adjustment...
All the best!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 99 ZL500 also and just went through both clutches. It still doesn't get the sled rolling until about 4500-5k Its supposed to do that. once you get it moving its ok. I think this is because of the yellow white spring that it uses to raise engagement for the p[ower curve of the motor.

I even put in a heavier weight to try and bring it down but it didn't.

·
Registered
978 Posts
A heavier spring will increase your engagement RPM. Heavier weights may bring it down a little but, you're probably just screwing up your top end. Change the spring to get the RPM you want at engagement then adjust the weights to get the max RPM for your engine. more weight = less RPM on top. This is a little over simplified but, it should help.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
My 99 zrt was the same way and I went with the stock spring and went up on my weights to bring my rpm's down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wife has a 2000 ZL 500 (non-EFI) all stock and the cluch is engaging considerably above 5000 RPM- maybe 5500RPM & up (what is the spec?). It also seems ot be reving high over 8000 RPM at higher sppeds (EVEN CLOSE TO 9000). This sled has only 800 miles on it or so - Obviously it sat unused for sometime before we got it. CoulD the clutch just be sticking? Perhaps corosion somwhere from sitting? There's no lube points- anyone have any suggestions? Could the 'self-lubricating' biottons just be replaced? Any way to remedy this situation without removing the clutch?

Any suggesions appreciated. Also if anyone knows anyone that works on thse near the St. Paul, MN area that might be a good plan B.

Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StrangeC @ Jan 28 2007, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wife has a 2000 ZL 500 (non-EFI) all stock and the cluch is engaging considerably above 5000 RPM- maybe 5500RPM & up (what is the spec?). It also seems ot be reving high over 8000 RPM at higher sppeds (EVEN CLOSE TO 9000). This sled has only 800 miles on it or so - Obviously it sat unused for sometime before we got it. CoulD the clutch just be sticking? Perhaps corosion somwhere from sitting? There's no lube points- anyone have any suggestions? Could the 'self-lubricating' biottons just be replaced? Any way to remedy this situation without removing the clutch?

Any suggesions appreciated. Also if anyone knows anyone that works on thse near the St. Paul, MN area that might be a good plan B.

Thanks.[/b]
If I remember correctly this is normal. You should have a yellow/white spring in the primary clutch and the weights should be part# 0746-578 not sure of grams though. You should be able to call AC dealer to get gram weight of this part#. My buddy has a 99 zl600 that doesn't engage until around the 5k-5.5k rmp range. I think the higher engagement is due to lack of low end tourqe in these motors. It takes more rpm at engagement to keep the motor for bogging down. I could be wrong on this though. I think his also tops out around the 8.5k rpm range. Do not lube your clutches they are a dry system.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StrangeC @ Jan 28 2007, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Thanks.[/b]
you're going to have to take the primary apart to fix your over rev. i would replace the primary spring and throw in some heavier weights to bring down rpms, polaris m5 weights work great.
here's a diagram of your primary w/ part #s.

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SN...RIVECLUTCH.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts