Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first sled after a couple year hiatus. I'm semi-knowledgeable about sleds, but by no means an expert. A friend recommended this site and says there's some really knowledgeable people to help me out. I finally got the sled in the garage to go over it and do the pre-season checks. I think there's something wrong with the primary clutch. First off, it seems like the belt is too tight, but I'm not sure. Secondly, when I put it up on the jackstand, as soon as I started it, the track started spinning. I'm assuming that the primary isn't opening all the way, but I have no experience on clutches whatsover, so it's just a guess. Anybody know what's causing this? And where to go from here? I don't even know how to pull the dang clutch off this thing. Any help (newbie friendly) would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time on this site from now on :D

·
5,963 Posts
Could be the clutch but I would say its the carbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, sorry guys. It's an 04 f7 and it's an efi. My buddy told me I would get more responses if I posted in the zr area with a generic question like clutches.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the welcome. We just started my buddies' and his track doesn't spin upon start up. It looks like he has a little space on his between the belt and primary, and on mine, the belt appears to be touching on both sides.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You need the center to center to be around 12.2 inches I believe. I think the first thing I would do is try a different belt. Then is the probelm is still there you need to ake the secondary apart and add a washer or two. This will allow the belt to sit down inside the secondary more and take the pressure off the primary. The primary should engage at 3500 or more rpm, watch to see if it is closed at all. Take the belt out and make sure the primary is open all the way. Start the sled and rev it to 3500 then slowly increase andd see if cluthc begins to close.

·
5,963 Posts
why couldn't it be carbs? just curious cause if they are not sinc'd or its running really lean that would cause it to wind up right?

Oh and welcome call :chug:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First off, man guys, I am amazed at this site. I've been a member for like 15 minutes, and I already have this much help. THANKS! Next, do you mean 12.2 inches from center of the primary shaft to the center of the jackshaft? I just changed belts and it does the same thing. Man I love being able to have a laptop out in the garage and work like this. And where in the secondary do I add a washer? I'm gonna pull it back off right now and see what it does with no belt. Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
why couldn't it be carbs? just curious cause if they are not sinc'd or its running really lean that would cause it to wind up right?[/b]
because its an efi :p ......haha had to do it sorry ...it would have to rev up over 3500rpm to engage if there is something wrong with the carbs and that would be very noticible that it would be a fuel issue

·
Registered
520 Posts
check the flux capacitor :)

what is the idle rpm and could the throttle be sticking a bit? I had a sled that used to walk off on me but can't remember what it was - but it sure was a suprise the first time i got off and turned around to see my sled wandering across a field :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
First off, a track spinning slowly when the engine is running while on a stand should be considered normal.
Let's consider a few things:
First, if the belt is the correct one AND it is slightly above the edge (1/8" max) of the secondary clutch sheave, this is indeed correct.
Second, if there is at least some space between the belt and sheaves of the primary when the engine is off, this is also correct.

Now for the track: If the track has the proper tension and is NOT too tight, this will contribute to the track spinning slowly, at idle, when up on a stand. This means you are NOT creating too much resistance and this is a good thing. It's often referred to as "free horsepower".

·
Registered
246 Posts
yea slow spinning on the stand is not bad but if it is pulling when on the ground there is something wrong i would say set it on the ground and if it starts to pull then you have something wrong

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. Primary seems so be engaging at the right rpm. My belt seems to be riding higher on the secondary than my friends. We pulled the secondary clutches on both sled. My bolt has the big washer and two small washers on the outside of the clutch. When we pulled his, he has the big washer on the outside, but has two small washers on the INSIDE of the clutch. Which was is the correct way? Think I'm gonna put the washers in the inside of mine and see if that is the difference. Hopefully the old owner had it off and just put it back together wrong. Let you know in a few.

·
Registered
267 Posts
All of my sleds tracks spin with the engine idling with the back end off the ground. When I set them down the track doesn't spin. This isn't a problem unless the snowmobile moves on snow without giving it any throttle. It may not move on concrete, but on snow there is less friction between the skis and the ground so it will move easier.
If I tighten the track too much there is more rolling resistance and it won't spin. My experience is that there is less rolling resistance, less hyfax wear, and better MPG with a looser track. If you have studs, the track should be run tighter to prevent the studs from damaging the tunnel and heat exchangers.

·
Registered
345 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (farfr0ms0ber @ Nov 13 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok. Primary seems so be engaging at the right rpm. My belt seems to be riding higher on the secondary than my friends. We pulled the secondary clutches on both sled. My bolt has the big washer and two small washers on the outside of the clutch. When we pulled his, he has the big washer on the outside, but has two small washers on the INSIDE of the clutch. Which was is the correct way? Think I'm gonna put the washers in the inside of mine and see if that is the difference. Hopefully the old owner had it off and just put it back together wrong. Let you know in a few.[/b]
Don't waste your time with that as it has nothing to do with making the belt ride higher or lower. What your describing affects the alignment in realtion to the primary.

·
5,963 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marv46 @ Nov 13 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
why couldn't it be carbs? just curious cause if they are not sinc'd or its running really lean that would cause it to wind up right?[/b]
because its an efi :p ......haha had to do it sorry ...it would have to rev up over 3500rpm to engage if there is something wrong with the carbs and that would be very noticible that it would be a fuel issue
[/b][/quote]

Sorry, Now I feel stupid, EFI's Don't have carbs pelle, Duh. Thanks though

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. think I got it. When I put the washers on the inside of the clutch and put it back on, it seems right now. Before, I had hardly any play in the belt, when I pushed it down. With the washers in the inside, it feel exactly like my friends now. I'm assuming with the washers on the outside, it was causing it to be way out of alignment. I'll take it for a spin out back in a few and let you guys know. Once again, THANKS!!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts