Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 1987 cougar with the artico hex clutch on it was wandering if an 9 post of an 01 zr 800 would fit,its an 30mm,not the 33mm.thanks for any help,ti cat

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ti Cat @ Jan 22 2007, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i have an 1987 cougar with the artico hex clutch on it was wandering if an 9 post of an 01 zr 800 would fit,its an 30mm,not the 33mm.thanks for any help,ti cat[/b]
It might bolt on but everything inside it wrong. You would have to change the weights and the spring at the very least.

K

·
Registered
102 Posts
The 01+ 800/900 big twins use a clutch with a 33mm taper vice everything else using a 30mm taper. So short of modifying the PTO stub or Clutch, it will not fit. Also, the 660 four stroker has different diameter, so I would avoid that one also. All the others should work though. There are a couple of other oddballs out there to. Early pantera's had a longer pto shaft, so those may not work either.

Keep in mind you will have to recalibrate whichever clutch you put in, unless you find one that was supposed to go in that machine. I believe the clutch that came in your sled was either a version of the Comet 102c or one of Artco's own models. I am leaning more towards one of Artco's though. I thought Cat went away from the 102c's in the early to mid 80's. Maybe when they went under for a spell.

Waldo

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know i would have to recalibrate the 9 post clutch just wanted to make sure it will fit.also the 01 zr800 did come with the smaller crank,02s and up came with the 33mm,thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an arctco hex clutch on my 74 merc sno-twister and I asked Bob at Image ent. in Eagle River, WI the
same question. He said that most the newer clutches use a wide belt and the hex clutch uses a narrow belt.
Won't work properly, he said. Not sure if you can take shims out of newer clutches to make them narrow
enough to work with the stock secondary. Changing the secondary usually requires a custom jack shaft.
Image Ent has these custom made to accomodate a modern secondary to match modern primary. These are for Merc Sno-Twisters, but may also work on your sled, since the merc used Arctic clutches. Have to see
if they also used same jack shaft-chain case geometry.
Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uncle Wally @ Jan 22 2007, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The 01+ 800/900 big twins use a clutch with a 33mm taper vice everything else using a 30mm taper

Also, the 660 four stroker has different diameter, so I would avoid that one also.[/b]
'02 on up ZL/ZR's have the 33mm taper, '01 was still 30mm

660's have 30mm as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.