Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I have a 1979 Pantera 5000 and it has an aftermarket clutch. May be made by arctic cat but it is a lot newer than a 79' clutch for sure.
My question is, will that clutch go right onto my 78' el tigre 6000 without adjustments or problems?
I want the better clutch on the el tigre as the one on the el tigre right now is original and isn't giving much takeoff out of the hole. Once your going it kicks in and give you a ride. I want quick take off and still to have the top overall speed.

Any advice, or suggestions???
Thanks a lot, MATT

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
It will bolt on but you will have to change the weights. The higher hp el tigre would most likely need heavier or different profile. It could come out of the hole better but over rev in the middle and top end and would be slower. Rebuilding the tigre clutch enough and buying wiegths would be close in price, but the newer clutch may still need a rebuild its not cheap

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
The pantera 5000 is 500ccf/c and is putting out 56hp I believe. What is the el tigre putting out?
Would it be safe to try it??? Would the new clutch off the pantera blow or get ruined if I didn't change the weights and tried it?
Thanks, MATT

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
shouldnt harm it any. dont know the hp on the el tigre but it is more. Hp is rated at a certain rpm if you run it more than it is rated at the hp goes down the faster the engine turns. I think your clutch might have written on the cover dont exceed a certain rpm for clutch saftey. Just dont let it go over that rpm for long periods of time when your trying it out

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help!
One more question. Do I have to change the back plat (pull it) to try out the other clutch or are they the same thing?
Thanks, MATT

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matt_sledder_4evr @ Feb 14 2007, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the help!
One more question. Do I have to change the back plat (pull it) to try out the other clutch or are they the same thing?
Thanks, MATT[/b]
Yes have to pull it threir seperate pieces but a clutch is put together as a balanced part. Its not good to mix clutch parts other than the weights and springs. I think your clutches are two different types and need 2 pullers to pull both clutches

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again!
I went outside and looked at both machines. First went over to the Pantera and she has a 102c comet clutch on her good to 8500rpm. I checked online and the el tigre is pushing out 70hp at 8000rpm while the pantera has 48hp at 7000rpm. Thinking the clutch should hold up, as its under the recommended RPM.
The el tigre just has the stock arctic hexagon clutch. Noticed when I looked that the back plate has to be changed as it has a hexagon shape and the comet clutch is just round.
So I guess I either buy the 2 pullers or take it somewhere that has them and can do it for me. Probly be able to calobrate it for me also.

Will I notice a great difference between my comet clutch and stock arctic cat clutch?
What preforms better a powerbloc clutch (had one on my el tigre 5000) or a comet clutch like the one I want to put on my el tigre 6000 machine?

Thanks, MATT

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS!
I noticed that Comet clutches are the most expensive but I guess what you pay for!
Seems like they preform the best too. I noticed that my powerbloc clutch on my 5000 was a really good clutch to and really did the trick.
Will see if I can get them switched around?
Thanks, MATT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts