Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 Arctic Cat Cougar 500 f/c the clutch oem is 0725-010 but that is old and out dated.. Does anyone know all the correct dimension/specs for a replacement clutch for this thing? I was looking at this link on ebay and i'm not even sure if I can use this clutch.

Arctic Cat Snowmobile 1980 2012 8" 30 mm Drive Clutch | eBay

I assume i need a new one, i hear rattling coming from it at an idle and it goes away as clutch engages.. I also get some bog all across the scale.. from take off and also when i'm wide open (running good) i'll back off throttle and get on it again and it just bogs... Whats strange though is i can just barely pull on the choke and she'll open back up and run great until it does it again.... So I may be experiencing more than 1 issue here... Can you guys help me out :/

·
Registered
29 Posts
when was the last time carb. was cleaned and is fuel pump functioning properly. as far as clutch issue, not sure i'm having clutch issues myself....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just recently cleaned the carbs and the fuel pump is working good as fars as i know.. not sure how to test that, if theres some sort of pressure test or what not but at normal operating it seems to run just fine.. always starts right up, ive replaced all fuel lines and filter even the line inside the tank.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
You issue is not clutch related!

If flipping the choke on will clear a bog, then it is a fuel delivery problem.

Which carb does it have, a VM or B on it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has dual VM34 Mikuni Carbs. I cleaned the carbs very well, Blew high pressure air through everything and made sure everything was clear.. Floats and all that seem fine, not sticking or anything.. one carb was pretty bad so i took special care to make sure the jets and needles and everything were clean.. I also synced the carbs as well. I suppose I can do it again just to make sure nothing got back in there after all the hose replacments and filter replacement.. When i do fiddle with with choke, i would only have to move the choke lever like 1/8 of an inch and it would come right out of the bog so it wasnt much and it varies when it happens.. Sometimes it'll go wide open and run beautiful but when i let off throttle and get back on it , it will bog and then sometimes it'll do it while accelerating from a slow move.. Even on take off from a dead stop i cant just hit the throttle and go, i have to feather the throttle a few times to get the rpms up to go, thats why i was leaning towards a clutch being bad... not to mention the rattling it does at idle.. haha. been looking into that as well, has a comet 108 c clutch so im debating rebuild or replace as we speak :/

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
What are the air screws set at now?
You might need to turn them in slightly to richen up the idle.

I have a 102 on an 80 Pantera and it would out run many bigger sleds after the swap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that could be something there... i assume the air screws are the ones in the front of the carbs and they were missing and the holes just plugged closed when i got the sled.. i mentioned that to my buddy i got it from and he said "oh those are nothing,the thing always has been like that and ran great" haha.. maybe i should get those screws, huh?

Thanks for the tip on the 102.. i was looking at newer type clutches but that could be an idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, i looked into this better today, those screws missing are not the air screws, the just held some little clamps to stop top from turning i guess... The air screws are on the side next to idle screw and they are intact,lol.. I played with em a little today but still cant get rid of that sluggish acceleration from an idle.. once i got the rpms up you can just hear the difference as it "kicks in" so to speak. Hoping to get this 5 inches of snow they're talking about tomorrow night so i can take it out and see how it is.. ive done a little more research also and have read about possible seal leaks .. read i could spray some starting fluid around carb boots and behind the clutch at the crank seal to see if there are any seals leaking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MAybe i should just break down and get a dang clutch and see if that solves it.. lol! Like you had said though, whats the choke have to do with that, nothing... grrr!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts