Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 97 EXT 580 the clutch is noisy and chattery sounding. I did a search on this and didn't come up with much of a answer. Also when accelerating from stand still it engages hard unlike my other sleds that engage smoothly. I don't know if this is a simptom of a loose chain or clutch issue. I dunno

If it comes down to rebuilding the clutch, what is needed? Springs, weights, rollers, etc....? I have the clutch remover and have taken clutches off before but whats the difficulty of rebiuilding these 9 towers on the 2-6 beer scale? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Sounds like a clutch issue, something is likely binding. With it as severe as you describe you could be looking at a new clutch because if the rollers in the spider are shot then the work, and cost of rebuilding the spider may make a new clutch the better option. Get a length of 1/2' threaded rod and some fender washers and three nuts to make a tool to compress and hold the clutch during disassemble and reassembly. I use two nuts on the bottom to get a better hold in the bench vice.

You always replace the the flyweight pins, bushings and thrust washers, but it yours is binding bad the pivot hole in the weight may be worn and they weights will need to be replaced. Replace all three if one is worn, because the other may not be far behind. Replace the spring with a new one as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It could be that your secondary clutch is set to the highest spring setting...It mine engage with a jolt..... I was wondering why I was engaging so hard and I took apart and set the spring on a different setting.. It engages nice and smooth now.. This was when I was going from a start though...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From a start is when mine jolts. This does sound correct because I had to replace my secondary with a secondary off a ZR last year and thats when I started to notice it. Ill tear it down tonight and take a peak.

What should I look to spend on a good used Primary and any suggestions on spring color for a 580? I have never messed around with clutches accept for removing or replacing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my '97 stock zr 580 had a yellow spring in the secondary. it had a 42-36 helix in it also. if you need to get a different secondary, I would recommend upgrading to a roller secondary. much better

1 - 5 of 5 Posts