Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 80 pantera f/c 500 and changed out the clutches(both drive and driven). I do not have a clutch alignment tool. Is there a way to determing correct alignment without one? Since putting the belt back on it has been wearing badly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
it is a little more difficult to do without correct tools, but it can still be done... look at where your belt is wearing, that is the first good indication of where your misalignment is... i have see anything you could think of used, the most senseful thing i have seen used though is a yardstick turned on its flat in both clutches, and making it as straight as possible, then adjusting according to belt wear, i havent done any clutch alignment myself though, have only assisted others in their methods...

good luck

kurt

·
Registered
622 Posts
Here's what I do if I have no idea what the offset should be, especially when mixing up brands of clutches: I take the springs out of both the drive and driven clutches, install both on sled, and set both in a full upshift position. Install a new drive belt. Lay a straight edge along the side of the driven and measure from the straight edge to the belt as close the drive as you can get and as close to the driven as you can get. Shim the driven clutch side to side which ever way you need to go to get both measurements to come out the same. When you get the same measurement from the straight edge to the belt in these two positions, your clutches are lined up. I've done this several times and it's worked every time. If you're working alone you may have to use a c-clamp or something to hold the drive clutch together. If you try this please let me know how it works for you. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts