Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am cleaning the APV's on my 02' 600 EFI. The gasket on the APV's tore when removing the power valves for cleaning. Some of the gasket stayed on the cylinder, some of the gasket stayed with the apv cover, a few small pieces are gone, fell on floor.

Do these gaskets need to be replaced or can they be replaced with RTV/silicone?

If replacing with silicone, how was APV cover removal next time?

Any tricks to preventing the gasket from tearing next time (assuming it were replaced with new?)?

Thoughts & experiences appreciated.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Paper gaskets are not meant to be used twice. You can buy gasket material at your favorite auto parts store. Then smear a light coat of grease (the gunk you are cleaning out of the APV's works great) on the sealing surface of the APV cover, press this onto white paper (card stock if you have it but plain will do) and the image of what the gasket looks like will appear on the paper in grease. Cut out the gasket template and use it to trace the outline onto the gasket material, then cut out your gaskets. I find a small exacto knife is handy for this task. You could use the oil to make the image right on the gasket but the gasket material tends to be fairly dark and absorbent which makes it difficult to get a crisp image to cut out. You could use the liquid gasket goo but I find it messy and a pain the next time you want to remove them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts