Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the sled in perfect running condition, however, I have a problem with starting it. I can only start it if I remove the airbox and put my hand over the carb opening to prime it when pulling. THe choke is messed up, when i pulled it the plastic piece broke in the pull assembly. When I remove the brass nut on the carburetor it comes up a little bit and the spring appears, but the cable will not pull up. Its like the plunger is stuck in the carb. Shouldnt it just pull out? The cable was doing nothing and its very hard to start with no choke!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey the barrels could have got a bit of corrosion build up around them you can try to spray some penetrating oil (wd-40) down the spring and try to work free. also if the sled is out side try warming the sled up doing the hand over carb trick and when it gets hot see if you can move the choke tab. if you can it means that some water got in there and froze. that b roken plastic choke piece can be replaced on some cables just pop that black cover off the choke cable and there will be a spring and plastic actuator the actuator is what you replace. any sled shop will have. 84catman.

·
Registered
55 Posts
had the same problem with my 78 5000 soaked carbs for a month and still wouldnt budge - finally tore the springs out and made a little tool out of a nail that would slide in and turn and got a vise grip on that and yanked em out - found new springs at hardware store cheap - cleaned it all up and now they work great - good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Your plunger should come right out. I struggled with a 440 just like what you are going through. 21 pulls to start it some times.

The plunger was so gummed up with green varnish that it would not move up and uncover the choke port. Therefore just like you, I had no choke.

In my case the fella before me lengthed the choke cable so you thought the plunger was actually moving.

Wrong, when you moved the choke lever you only took up the slack in the cable (in my case).

Take the carb off the machine, choke cable and all attached (you will need to remove the choke control from the machine).

Loosen the brass nut that holds the choke plunger in the carb. Plull it out as far as you can. With a flashlight look down the bore of the choke circut in the carb, you will see a small brass plunger which the choke cable attaches to.

Take a small flat head screwdriver and fit it into the slot on the top of the plunger and twist side to side.

Then plunger will break free of the varnish and pop out. Use some carb cleaner and clean the plunger and circuit.

Reinstall the plunger\spring. Reinstall on to the machine. Set your choke cable tension and away you go.

And yes, your choke plunger should come out very easily. There is no force needed in removing a properly working choke plunger from its bore.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts