Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading post on this site trying to find the reason my '05 650 v2 wants to run with choke on. Then dies when turned all the way off, yet idles ok about 1/4 the way off full choke, just real slow to drop to low idle speed after giving gas. Back fires at times not burning all the fuel and kind of slow acceleration.
The motor is stock 250 mi on it, valves never adjusted. She sits more than she runs and its time to change that.

I dont Know is it the "choke cable problem" of the '05 650 v2 ?
Do the valves need to be adjusted?
Time to take apart both carbs and clean? But not sure how to set float height, needles, jets, sync, etc. Just spraying some carb cleaner down carbs while running does not sound like a good idea?

Changed plugs and fresh gas and a good battery.
Any Ideas of what I should try next?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Clean the carbs and chokes real well.
Sounds as as though its' an old fuel issue.
I was able to do mine without removing any plastics.
It made a huge difference in my 650 V2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quad starts pretty good, give it gas and acclerates up then back down, idles abit high for a minute then tries for a normal idle then dies. Give gas before it dies , revs right back up for more of the same? While in high idle if i move choke off all the way it sputters and back fires. If the choke is moved off and back on, it tries for a regular idle but will die if you dont give more gas. If the choke moved abit to the off position abit it will try to do the same as above.

Got some BERRYMAN B-12 Chemtool carburetor choke & throttle body cleaner. I guess you can just spray right down into the carbs with fast idle 2-3 seconds to clean. That would be nice to do this with out a carb tare down.

Is the screw between the two carbs used to sinc them together?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Removing and cleaning the carbs is the only way to properly do it. Spraying the carbs while its running will only clean the throttle bore, it will not clean all the small passage ways in the carbs or clean the jets it will also not clean anything that is collected in the float bowl.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you are cranking easy, then valves are more than likely fine. It's good to check them every 1000 miles or so.

Sounds like you're going to remove the carb and do a good cleaning. Sounds like the jets are a little gummed up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright I will remove the carbs. Removing air filter/ intake end first, then carb/ intake manifold end. Will they come out as a single unit (both together)? The linkage, choke and throttle cables will get removed also. Cover intake with a rag.Then remove plastic covers or leave them on? Spray all the internal parts floats, needles, jets, etc, to remove the gum or varnish? Will the gum and stuff be visible? Dry off or let dry throughly. Make sure parts move feely, then reverse order back together?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Alright I will remove the carbs. Removing air filter/ intake end first, then carb/ intake manifold end. Will they come out as a single unit (both together)? The linkage, choke and throttle cables will get removed also. Cover intake with a rag.Then remove plastic covers or leave them on? Spray all the internal parts floats, needles, jets, etc, to remove the gum or varnish? Will the gum and stuff be visible? Dry off or let dry throughly. Make sure parts move feely, then reverse order back together?
Remove carbs and place on clean bench or working area.
Completely disassemble carb. Remove bowls, floats, side covers and jets. Put all parts in a deep container. Clean everything using a product that will not harm rubber components(gaskets/diaphrams). Be sure all ports are clear of obstruction, I used fine wire to clean/clear small ports and jets. Clean everything thoroughly. I find taking pics or using a carb parts diagram helpful. Use compressed air to completely clean and dry all parts. Do not let the small parts blow away, put them in a seperate container as you move through the pieces. You will have to seperate the 2 carbs in order to clean. I synched by eye and had no issues. Use care when putting back together to insure no dirt gets into the carb as you put back together.
Kind of simplistic explanation, and does not cover everything. Take your time and do one at a time in the event you need to use the other as an example. Be sure to tighten the rubber intake boots well.
Clean carbs on a V2 will make a world of difference. Mine eliminated backfiring, rough/no idle. I really noticed a different during cold starts.
It used to take forever for the bike to run properly when it was cold out.

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
pilot jet is gummed up, but if it is, all the others cant be too far behind.

Good cleaning should help and Seafoam in every tank afterwards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the carbs off, no big deal, one choke cable hold down screw(bottom side) was missing. Kind of being held in place by the first one, need to get another? Perhaps part of the problem, but pretty sure not the main root cause. Will continue with carb tear down, and clean. Now for the floats, bowls, jets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, It takes less than one hour to go through the carb and re-install, very easy. She pretty much started right up, got some coolant leak from a hose on the v in the motor. Did not want to bake that stuff on motor, so didn't let it warm up. Will clean her up tomarrow, check all the fluids, look for leaks, and she how she runs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess fine carb adjusting is nessary. Starts great, some times idles abit high then after running a bitdrops down and wants to die, if you dont give it gas. A few times while riding it would idle high while in gear and keep going with out giving any gas. Just can't get that perfect idle. My other quad, a grizzly single piston thumper will idle all day long and never die.

What should I do to get this quad to drop back down to a steady idle every time , no matter how much gas was given.
The smell of unburnt fuel or something is just not perfect.
What a 1/2 or 1/4 turn left or right on Jets or bowls? Is there a choke adjustment or something I am missing? I am not skilled at fine carburator adjustments?
This quad is wicked fast and a pure JOY to drive, a little carb-fine tune help needed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought I posted results, but not visible here anyway
She starts right up, sounds good rev'in up, Idles high for a bit then drops down. Just won't settle for a good idle without dying, while driving let off gas, and sometmes wont drop down all the way. Not like wide open, but not quite right. Dont know if I just need some fine tune carb adjustment or choke cable adjustment, or what? Kind of has that unburnt fuel smell? Runnin' "rich or lean", what ever its called.
What do I need to do give it a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, left or right on the jets or floats. The quad is wicked fast, and fun to ride. My other Quad is a Grizzly, single piston thumper, and it will run and idle killer all day long.
How can I get this quad to settle to a good idle after letting off the gas, everytime?

·
Registered
664 Posts
If it's not idling back down after you let off the throttle could be sticking a bit. have you checked it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts