Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my old 2004 400 still alive and kicking, but I'm tired of having issues with my choke cable so I was looking at removing the choke cable and assembly and finding a plunger choke for a Keihin cvk 34, I've seen them on CVK32 carbs on Ebay but I can't seem to locate a cross reference of thread pitch or what they come on factory (dirt-bike? motorcycle? other quad?) so I can source one from a dealer or ebay that I think will work. If anyone has ever deleted their choke cable assembly and replaced it with a plunger/knob style choke please let me know the right path.

I know it's odd I have cable issues but I had one get water in it and freeze mid winter, making it useless, had another cable get crimped, and this last one I had i must have removed a zip tie at some point because it melted to the exhaust. Rather than deal with pulling a new cable and messing around I'd sooner just delete the cable assembly and switch to a plunger knob system.

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
electric chokes are not without issues. When they go south, at least there is a primer lever on the side of the carb so you can still get it fired up. I'd get a new cable and get a cable lube tool, spray a silicon type spray , WD-40, or something designed for cables, Route it away from exhaust and and try not to spray water directly around the choke lever. If you get enough lube in the cable, water will have a hard time getting in anyway.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
electric chokes are not without issues. When they go south, at least there is a primer lever on the side of the carb so you can still get it fired up. I'd get a new cable and get a cable lube tool, spray a silicon type spray , WD-40, or something designed for cables, Route it away from exhaust and and try not to spray water directly around the choke lever. If you get enough lube in the cable, water will have a hard time getting in anyway.
I think you are misunderstanding me, I don't want an electric choke, I don't want a cable choke, I want a push pull plunger style choke because the lever freezes, the cable gets damaged, corrodes, fails, breaks, melts, etc. but a small plunger style choke like those found on honda dirtbikes would be just a push pull knob on the side of the carb and I could get rid of the cable, get rid of the crumby plastic handle that keeps freezing solid and snapping, and be done with it with a simple replacement option. Something similar to what is pictured below for a CVK34, I've found CVK 38 and PWK and PWM style ones without needles on the tip, but I've had no luck locating one for a CVK34. I know they exist because I can buy a carb with one attached but I can't source only the plunger

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
Ok, gotcha. With that style it will be hard to reach but will work for sure.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I have sourced one from Ebay but I'm just waiting on the response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts