Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I kinda new to this site so hello and thanks for all the great info. I'm pondering a dilema. I am new to the world of 2up machines and actually bought 2 used ones recently. I have a 92 Pantera 440 liqiud, esr, with 750 miles on it (speedo is broken, but all wear looks average) however time shows on the track and some rusty springs. Track is ok but some lugs are splitting, just on the lug itself. Otherwise, starts fine and runs good. Its all there. My other sled is a 2000 Panther 440 fan esr with 2600 miles. Its all there as well and is in good 2600 mile condition. My question is as follows; If I wanted to keep only 1, which would it be. Sometimes I think the Pantera, because after a little TLC it was designed to be a "cadilac" of sleds. It has the front end with grease fittings and metal skis. The Panther was designed to be a cost conscious version of sled. (even though it has new technology). If you were planing on keeping one for a while, which would you spend time on. If the Pantera had a new track would it be more desireable than the newer Panther. The Panther as you know is much bigger and has the blow molded skis. Any comments would be appreciated. And by the way, I'm an A/C guy for 20 years, started on a 87 jag340 (loved that sled) and am a Pride member.

Thanks
Tom.

·
Registered
136 Posts
personally i looked at a 04 pantera when i got my panther 570. i was almost sold except for the weight of the pantera. i bought the panther cause of the weight, price, and what i could do with it. the pantera is great for trail riding but when off the trail it likes to sink. found the panther floated better. the ride is a bit rougher on the panther because of the seat being firmer and i have the overloads on to give it some clearance cause i ride on rough and fluffy snow trails and lakes. the panther is probably faster then the pantera just cause of age and some new tech on the panther that the pantera is missing. i would stick with the panther, sell the pantera and put diff skis on the panther and maybe a 1.25 inch trck depending on how much snow you ride in or how you ride. just my opinion

·
Registered
161 Posts
If I remember correctly the 92 is a standard 121 track with a two up seat while the 2000 Panther is a longtrack version.

If Im right, I would definitely take the 2000. Not as much power but a much more modern machine (much better looking too).

For a few bucks you can add rear handwarmers and have a great, lighweight touring machine that is good on fuel and is as close to a pull and go machine as you will find.

440 is a super little motor.

Ben

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a 2000 Panther 440 and loved it. 70+ MPH on the flats (I'm a big boy, too) and 55 MPH on snow packed lakes. I wouldn't reccomend it for two up riding in powder but on the trails it was great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts