Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you check or test the condensers ? Also do they gradually go bad or do they all of sudden stop working ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
They can fail either way. Here is a way to tell if it is "for sure" bad, but it does not necessarily guarantee it is good. You will need a non-digital ohm meter, (needle type scale). Set it on the highest setting such as 10,000 or 100,000 ohms. Make sure the ohm meter has a good battery in it. The condenser must be either physically or electrically removed from the motor. Connect the meter leads across the condenser. The meter needle should rise then fall to zero. Swap the meter lead wire connection at the condenser, the meter needle should rise again then fall to zero. If the needle fails to rise at all, or fails to fall back to zero, the condenser is bad.

昔のスノーモービル

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just figures I have a digital meter,thanks for your response, trying to figure out on my rebuilt 73 Panther 340 why I got it to start(1 or 2 times) and that was it, she won't start. Thought it could have bad condensers or maybe points or both I dunno

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Does it have any spark?
If it does, the condensers are working but may not be in good enough condition to maintain operation more than a few min.

Considering their age, it would just be best to replace them.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has spark when I rest the plugs on the cylinder head still connected to wires. I've got it back apart now trying to see if I did something wrong rebuilding it. New plugs, gas lines,seals,rebuilt carb. The pistons are in correctly (arrows pointing to the exhaust), the ports on the pistons line up with the ports in the cylinder walls. I'm going to pull the pistons and separate the crankcase to look at the center seal, I put a new after market one in but I heard they aren't recommended. For whatever reason I CANNOT GET THIS BLASTED SLED RUNNING !!!! :angry:

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Just a note, when playing with condenser's, make sure they are discharged before handling, or you will have a spark of your life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts