Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you check or tell if the oil pump is good? On a '98 600 efi. Seems to burn a whole tank of oil to just over a tank of gas. I have it adjusted so the tick marks line up...but didn't know if there is anything internal to the pump that could cause it to stay opened up or something.

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
i was also wondering the same thing, i don't know if it is possible for that D shaped shaft that the arm sits on to possibly get preloaded 1 revolution and cause more oil flow or how that works. are you sure your spring that connects to the arm is working properly and is not causing the arm not to drop back down to idle position?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I checked that out and that part looks to be fine. I picked up a used pump off of ebay a while back and was going to check it over and maybe swap it out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What you can do is try to calibrate your pump. I have saved alot of oil this way. The 'tick' marks are only initial and are generally rich. What you will need to do is lengthen the link to the oil pump a couple of rounds, top off the gas and oil tanks, go out and run a tank through it, measure the gallons of gas and top off the oil tank measuring the ounces used. Convert the gallons to ounces(gallons x 128 = ounces) to come up with a ratio. 50:1 is minimum. Mine started out at like 38:1. Keep lengthening till you get what you are comfortable with. I use 100:1 oil so I am up closer to 80:1. Takes a little time but worth it and it runs better!!

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
You should be getting 150-200 miles per quart of oil. Keep adjusting until you are comfortable with the usage. Remember, plugs are cheap compared to rebuild IMO!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts