Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Using the dial indicator, find TDC on each cylinder. Scribe the flywheel at each setting at the timing pointer. Also scribe the flyywheel at your firing position as found with the dial indicator.

Now measure the distance between the marks with a flexible tape measure. They should be the same measurement in both directions (180 deg).

When the motor is together and running, use your timing light to see the timing marks you scribed. You should see one mark and not two jumping around.

BP

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do use a timing light from cylinder to cylinder after marking the flywheel for a quick check when searching for a poor performance complaint. When using a degree wheel, always align the pointer on the wheel to zero after rotating the engine .015" ATDC. This will take the "slop" out of your reading due to the rod bearing clearance. Then move the dial indicator to the next cylinder and rotate the crankshaft so TDC of the piston is read for that cylinder. Continue to turn the crank the extra .015" and read the pointer on the degree wheel. Should be with in 1 degree of "perfect" (180 degrees for a twin, 120 degrees for a triple.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey Tomcat...where can I get a degree wheel?

SPDFREEK

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought mine from HPE, but most any automobile speed shop has them. I like a smaller one so it fits on the bench, although trying to use it to degree in a camshaft on a car engine is harder to do than one that's about 2' around.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks tomcat...there is a speed shop around the corner from my shop. They should have on for me forsure then.

Later.

SPDFREEK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts