Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty much distrustful to most people (the ones who take advantage of you and not think twice about it).

If I had crappy cylinders in a sled I needed to get rid of (pretending im that fuking guy), I would probably fill the cylinders with some oil to line the walls and show compression to the buyer first. That would probably help raise and even out the compression readings. I am saying all this ridiculous stuff because I may look at a ZRT800 today and the guy wants to prove his compression is spectacular on this sled with 5500 miles. I even asked him if he changed the pistons (thats normal right?), he seemed almost offended by that.

Is it probably best to check compression after the engine has run to remove any skewers?

Off topic question: How often can these ZRT800s (98') run to 5500 miles with out going through the engine?

·
Registered
261 Posts
The engine should be at running temp for a proper reading. I like to do both cold and warm to see how much difference there is, but I only rely on the warm reading.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Operating temp. Run it for a while to burn all that oil the F'n tool is trying to screw you over with.

Once warm pull the plugs and pull it over 7 times with the throttle wide open.

SPDFREEK

Oh ya...you can ask the guy what ever you want...your the guy with the cake!!

You can even tell him to go you know what!!

Later.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteHawk @ Jan 26 2007, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Off topic question: How often can these ZRT800s (98') run to 5500 miles with out going through the engine?[/b]
While it's not a triple, my '02 ZR8 has over 8000 miles on it and has never had the motor open. 125-128psi last fall. Now that i've said that the whole thing will explode the next time I ride it!! bang your head

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the water pump.
Once it starts to leak internally it can take out the counter balance bearing and put a hole through the crank case.
A water pump rebuild should cost less than $100 and can save you alot of $$$$ on that machine.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteHawk @ Jan 26 2007, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am pretty much distrustful to most people (the ones who take advantage of you and not think twice about it).

If I had crappy cylinders in a sled I needed to get rid of (pretending im that fuking guy), I would probably fill the cylinders with some oil to line the walls and show compression to the buyer first. That would probably help raise and even out the compression readings. I am saying all this ridiculous stuff because I may look at a ZRT800 today and the guy wants to prove his compression is spectacular on this sled with 5500 miles. I even asked him if he changed the pistons (thats normal right?), he seemed almost offended by that.

Is it probably best to check compression after the engine has run to remove any skewers?

Off topic question: How often can these ZRT800s (98') run to 5500 miles with out going through the engine?[/b]
5500 miles is about the time. I just did mine with the same mileage. The Cylinders and Pistons were fine but the water pump needed a rebuild and while I had it apart I had the bearings done on the counterbalancer as well as a new water pump shaft installed. The seals tend to go on the water pump after 4000-5000 miles and leak coolant into the engine. The waterpump shaft also tends to get rusty and pitted from sitting in coolant all of the time. Not cheap to get all of that done.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
My old sled now my stepson's 96 zrt 800 never apart 6250 miles later and compression was 118-120 on all cylinders. No scratches of any kind. All stock miles. Just replaced water pump shaft, seals, pistons, rings, wrist pins. Couldn't talk him into the counter or crank bearings this year. I think this is remarkable or maybe just lucky. All the sled has ever seen was cat oil. I use amsoil HP in my t-cat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts