Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1999 zl 500 with a burned up pto side piston . i checked carbs and there clean but jet needle was on last clip letting needle sit all the way down in jet .main jets are 350.temp was around 15f and 400 ft elev.could this cause failure.also afriend said check center seal for leak by taking jugs off and pour gas in one side of crankcase and see if fuel leaks to outher side.i did this and it did.does this mean seal is shot or does mean nothing.im grateful for any adviseI dunno

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
As far as the center seal it looks liike there are 2 seals. You will more than likely get fuel transfer if it sits. If that was your problen you see signs of a lean condition on both pistons. Set that needle the same as the other. If it is in the top notch it will be leaning that side due to the needle staying lower and not letting in enough gas in mid range. Check the carb to cylinder coots for cracks that may be letting air in also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mike .i forgot to mention both clips were the same.the first time the engine went i drove it alot longer.this time when i noticed a problem i shut it down and trailered it home.maybe before when the first cyl went it put too much work on outher cyl and ruined that one

1 - 3 of 3 Posts