Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First real ride of 2007. Three F1000 Sno Pros, 2 with no miles, 1 with 25 miles and an F8 with 25 miles. No mechanical mods. We are riding up a hill, 4 miles into our ride, taking it pretty easy when the leader stops and throws his hands up. We take a look and his right, lower, front and rear control arms just snapped. Looks like CAT missed the front weld so that let go first and then there was just to much stress on the rear and that let go. Good thing we were going slow when it happened.

Thanks to the Guys at Big Moose Yamaha - Arctic Cat. They had a part in stock, so Chris (our personal mechanic that rides in our group) fixed it in the trail after Jiff220 and I went and got the part (12 miles from the dealership in 10°F conditions) and then they replaced the uppers in the shop just to be safe once we got the sled there.

Good thing the sleds were unbelievable in the trails to make up for the early disappontment.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
This man is lucky. A charmed life..Very lucky.Fortunate to be in one peice, breathing w/ all his parts still attached.!

Very serious ...makes the steering recall on the 1st Fcats look tame.

If this occured to this sled..more than a 50-50 - chance that others out there,,(and because of the delayed winter conditions) have this potentially horrific (hidden) falilure. Owners of this type of sld ,should give a tip of the hat to you.

You hate to be a un- paid volunteer test rider for these Mfgs.....but it is the case ..whether its performance or now saftey issues, now more than ever. ( i.e.GM cars 1970s to 80's).

I would venture to say that a couple ACat corp. types will see this post Im sure , and MON AM,will start pulling sold serial #'s and if they cant fieldtest and/ or lab duplicate the faluire right away ..will notify all current owners ..or ask them to stop using them ASAP until the part vendor can retool/and replace the a-arm.

I know for sure, Phil (Big Moose Mgt. )will be most defiantly be on the phone MON w/ warrant dept ,,and have that arm Fedex-ed Overnight ..they got too accertain/magnaflux/Xray..etc. what ,how and why ,of that faluire.

IMO ,if I was a owner/operater of a new 07 F sled, I would be very leery of running my sled @ 100mph(or 20 for that matter) on a moguled lake after seeing this .Unreal.

Update soon.

I will see Phil this week,I cant wait to hear his opinion.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I would say I don't believe it.. but being its you guys.. I would check to make sure there are actually pistons in the motors..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Looks like it broke right at the "toe" of the weld, chances are it was welded to hot or was quenched after it was welded and cause it to be brittle.
Regardless it sucks. Hope there is a quick and swift action on AC's part to fix it.

F&F

·
Registered
9 Posts
F&F: I assume there's no way to inspect a painted control arm to see if it was welded incorrectly? BTW, thanks for explaining what actually happened...

·
Registered
250 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris in NY @ Jan 21 2007, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
F&F: I assume there's no way to inspect a painted control arm to see if it was welded incorrectly? BTW, thanks for explaining what actually happened...[/b]

Unless you have a "Rockwell" hardness tester there is no sure fire way to test. From what I seen these arms look to be robotic welded, so if there is 1 bad set there prolly gonna be quite a few.
Wonder if this kind of stuff is done in house or if Cat farms it out ?

F&F

·
Registered
9 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flash and Flare @ Jan 21 2007, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris in NY @ Jan 21 2007, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
F&F: I assume there's no way to inspect a painted control arm to see if it was welded incorrectly? BTW, thanks for explaining what actually happened...[/b]

Unless you have a "Rockwell" hardness tester there is no sure fire way to test. From what I seen these arms look to be robotic welded, so if there is 1 bad set there prolly gonna be quite a few.
Wonder if this kind of stuff is done in house or if Cat farms it out ?

F&F
[/b][/quote]
Thanks F&F. I agree on the robot observation. I've gotta think they buy these weldments from someone. But I don't know...I do hope ACAT does some figuring on this quick, since every ride is going to count this season.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flash and Flare @ Jan 21 2007, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Looks like it broke right at the "toe" of the weld, chances are it was welded to hot or was quenched after it was welded and cause it to be brittle.
Regardless it sucks. Hope there is a quick and swift action on AC's part to fix it.

F&F[/b]

Both Frank and Chris have quite a bit of welding experience between them and they both agree with your assessment of the weld being brittle.

When we got to Big Moose and showed those guys the part their first reaction, like any reasonalbe person was, "We want to see the sled" but when they looked, and there wasn't a mark on it they too were shocked. You can see that there are no other marks on the control arm other than where it broke. I can tell you that the four of us didn't hold back riding the rest of the day, but you could also catch us looking over our windshields every now and then checking to make sure they were still there.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mike C @ Jan 21 2007, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
First real ride of 2007. Three F1000 Sno Pros, 2 with no miles, 1 with 25 miles and an F8 with 25 miles. No mechanical mods. We are riding up a hill, 4 miles into our ride, taking it pretty easy when the leader stops and throws his hands up. We take a look and his right, lower, front and rear control arms just snapped. Looks like CAT missed the front weld so that let go first and then there was just to much stress on the rear and that let go. Good thing we were going slow when it happened.

Thanks to the Guys at Big Moose Yamaha - Arctic Cat. They had a part in stock, so Chris (our personal mechanic that rides in our group) fixed it in the trail after Jiff220 and I went and got the part (12 miles from the dealership in 10°F conditions) and then they replaced the uppers in the shop just to be safe once we got the sled there.

Good thing the sleds were unbelievable in the trails to make up for the early disappontment.[/b]
i have a maybe stupit ? for you why is the bolt out of the shock?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mike C @ Jan 21 2007, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Good thing the sleds were unbelievable in the trails to make up for the early disappontment.[/b]
1 more ? how much air in the shocks when this happen? thanks, chassic builder here, just trying to figure this out for me and others, thanks, if these are a weak spot in my sled i,ll make my own

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct... the picture of the A- Arm under the track was after we got it off. We used it to hold the sled up while Chris worked on it, so the shock was already disconnected at this point. The only thing that let go was the front and rear parts of the A-Arm.

There was about 75 psi in the shocks. That is also the pressure that I rode with this weekend and no issues.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
That could have been real nasty, good thing timing was on his side.

What was the build date of the sled with the broken arm?

Might be helpful to know its build date if its a production issue, thanks for the "heads up' thumbguy

·
Registered
250 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiff220 @ Jan 22 2007, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The mfg is 10/06.[/b]
Thats the same date as mine, I did blast mine when I E-Coated them and I found nothing out of the ordinary. No excessive porosity, no undercut, I did notice some what appeared to be some cold lap but sometimes with robotic welding thats common so it didn't raise any flags with me at the time.

F&F

·
Registered
250 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nick @ Jan 22 2007, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Holy CRAP! :oops: eekkk

First off, Mikey, I'm gald your ok, but I would go back to your dealer and rip him a new one! They should have spotted that in a deal prep! :tongue_nana:[/b]
Nick I know were your going with your reply. :tongue_nana: :tongue_nana: :tongue_nana:
But even his (dealer) keen eye would have a hard time seeing any discontinuities.

BTW, the paint on these arms is not a dry powder its wet paint and its the worst I have seen in AC history.
F&F

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts