Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Check Engine Light

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  IAFFZR600 
#1 ·
Check Engine Light 03 - F-5....my check engine light stays on...continually flashing. I checked for the codes on the air box like my F7, missing, as is the owners manual. The machine runs great. The message is the same as the F-7 means to check coolant, but the engine is running in the right temp band. Any ideas?

#2 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (17cat @ Dec 31 2006, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Check Engine Light 03 - F-5....my check engine light stays on...continually flashing. I checked for the codes on the air box like my F7, missing, as is the owners manual. The machine runs great. The message is the same as the F-7 means to check coolant, but the engine is running in the right temp band. Any ideas?[/b]
I would guess your pipe temp sensor has failed open. Start it up and wiggle the wire where it enters the sensor and watch the light it may stop if you are able to make connection. I think about $60 new.

When mine failed I put almost 1000 miles on over a long weekend didn't really notice a performance difference just the light was a pain at night.

If you replace the sensor when dressing the wire make sure to have slack to allow for when the motor moves or you will be replacing it again very soon.

#3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (17cat @ Dec 31 2006, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Check Engine Light 03 - F-5....my check engine light stays on...continually flashing. I checked for the codes on the air box like my F7, missing, as is the owners manual. The machine runs great. The message is the same as the F-7 means to check coolant, but the engine is running in the right temp band. Any ideas?[/b]
Do you have a temp gauge to know it's running in the right temp band? The only time my F7 would do this was due to my riding in less than ideal snow conditions ... glare ice or little snow - no lubrication basically. If you stop and let your sled sit for a few minutes (turned off), and then start it up and go again .... does the light stay off until you get back on the throttle? That always seemed to be the scenario with mine & it was a sign of the engine getting warm. Only one time did I have it go into safe mode where it started to bog out & the light came on constant. That day I just parked it for 15 mins or so to let it cool down a bit, and limped it back to a good trail/lake after that.

#5 ·
So I rode the 03 F7 (new to me) for the 2nd time on Tuesday. Was about 20 miles into the trip and the oil and temp lights came on. I shut down the sled, let it sit for a bit while we had some lunch. Came back out maybe an hour and a half later, fired up machine.....lights still on. Oil reservoir and coolant levels are both good. Rode another 30 miles with absolutely no performance issues at all.....sled runs great.

I did a search on here with a handfull of results about the F7's "warning" lights coming on for various reasons. Guess im looking for some input on here before i load it up and take it to the shop. Bad sensors? Wiring issue? Thanks in advance... :chug:

#8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IAFFZR600 @ Jan 26 2007, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hoping to ride tonight... Anyone have any input?[/b]
The F7's do not have the pipe temp sensor, is it a constance flashing? if so I think that is over temp and a solid CEL is way over temp, if it is flashing a sequence count the number of flashes and check your manual or search for a clue on the number of flashes.

If the oil light is on and you are fill on oil my guess is oil sensor, these '03 did have an update for the oil sensor as they would come on very soon. Keep checking you oil level, I think the oil light will flash then change to solid on when the level gets lower. These oil tanks are only 2.5 quarts or so.

#9 ·
The temp. light is solid on. The strange part is that it comes on as soon as the sled it started...sled was sitting for hours, started it up and light was on.

Oil light came on at same time and stayed on solid as well. Oil reservoir is pretty much full.

Called the local dealer, he says bring it in....which i might end up doing. Was lookin to see if anyone else had the same problem at some point.

jjlrrw -- Thanks for your reply!

#10 ·
With both lights being on all the time may be a ECU problem?, maybe just a loose wire? Before taking it to the dealer pull the heat shield and look at the back of the speedo for a loose wire? I think there are a total of five lights,

From lower left to right they are:
Battery
Oil level
High Beam
Check Engine
TEMP

I dont think the Battery or Temp lights do anything, only the oil, hi beam and check engine. If you have time start a new topic you may find an answer to you problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.