Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 F5 and last weekend I rode 270 miles no problem. But before I put it away I went and rode on a small pond by my house and the check engine light came on. I have done searches and can't really come up witj an answer other than to replace the exhaust sensor but the sled runs great I felt the cooler in the tunnel and it was barely warm. I know the manual says it will come on when the pipe is to hot but what would cause the pipe to all of a sudden be hot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today the light would come on quickly and go away. The other day it came and stayed solid at idle once I started moving it would go away. I cheked the sensor with an ohmeter and it wasn't 0 so according to the book the sensor is still good.

·
Registered
229 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fastcat5 @ Jan 25 2007, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Today the light would come on quickly and go away. The other day it came and stayed solid at idle once I started moving it would go away. I cheked the sensor with an ohmeter and it wasn't 0 so according to the book the sensor is still good.[/b]
This does sound like the sensor, wiggle the wire near the point where it enters the sensor. Your ohm meter should not read Zero or an open circuit, it should read a valid resistance I think in the 200K ohm range.

Mine did the same thing it was intermitten at first then just failed. You won't notice much of a performance difference maybe a little top end loss.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reply I did check it with an ohmeter and I got the reading you got. If it fails it won't hurt the sled will it. It will hurt the performance though right, I just hate to throw in a $60 part not knowing for sure if its bad.

·
Registered
229 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fastcat5 @ Jan 27 2007, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
thanks for the reply I did check it with an ohmeter and I got the reading you got. If it fails it won't hurt the sled will it. It will hurt the performance though right, I just hate to throw in a $60 part not knowing for sure if its bad.[/b]
I put about 1000 miles and mine light was flashing the entire time, I think the book tells you it will not damage the sled only a little performance loss. But becareful if this sled also flashes the light for over temp you may not ever know it.

When you say it came on solid do you mean it was continuious flash or solid always ON? If it was just solid ON you may be looking at a different problem.

If you get to the point of replacing it make sure you don't wire tie the cable too tight, watch and see how much the motor moves when you rev it, and make sure you leave enough slack so the wire is not pulling or it will last long.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first time I noticed it come on it was on solid and as soon as I started moving it would go off and come back on. The second time it would flash just briefly as I rode and would go away I felt the tunnel coolers and they were just barely warm. I checked the connections and made sure there was plenty of slack. So I guess I will just have to ride it and see what happens the sled seems to run great I just wish they had a better explanation of what the light means. From what I understand the light has a lot more meaning on an F7 because of the EFI. Doesn't the F5 have a seperate light for overtemp or is the check engine light also the temp light.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if it is like my f7 then the check engine light flashes, then comes on solid....i havnt seen the temp light yet, it does have one though

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was just out with my F7 this weekend and my check engine light started flashing and then it just stopped and then it came back on again. At idle it went away, but as soon as I touched the throttle, it would start blinking constantly. I stopped, it would stop at idle, then when I was on my way back to the trailer, it stopped the faster I drove, any ideas at all? Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
were you in low snow conditions because on f7's it will flash when the coolant temp gets hot and it stay on solid when the coolant is really hot at least thats what it says in my manual hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem today I had only been riding for 15 min from the house at a low speed my wife was behind there is pretty good snow conditions but not great, I climed a long hill and when I got to the top my check engine light started blinking I stopped and let it idle and it went out, as soon as I touched the throttle it came back on so on the next good part of the trail I rode pretty hard for a mile or so and it went out rode another fifty miles and it never came on again. Hopefully it will stay that way. But could be the snow conditions.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ok guys, I have a very similar problem with my 03 F5, and do not mean to hijack the thread, but I wonder if we aren't seeing similar stuff.... When my sled runs for a while and/ or in warmer conditions, it seems doggy, like the power valves are not opening- but not as drastic like you guys indicate.

YES the power valves hve been cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned again and are functioning. When the APV's are stuck, it is more severe, so it seems different. When my sled is "cold" or in colder conditions, it (the engine) feels good and pulls hard and turns about 8400, but when it gets into it's "bitcy" mode it feels doggy and will only pull about 8000 and the seat of the pants feel is noticeable. I have gone down to 340 jets, changed clutching (to ODS) and the problem has followed. One minute great then the next :turd: .

I obviously am thinking that the pipe sensor could be a route I need to explore as the culprit for my sled- same as you guys. I guess I need to do some testing,,,,, wish i had a buddy with an F5 to try it out. I am also curious as to whether the light should be coming on- since I have a 04-05 white speedo in the sled and/ or maybe the check engine light is burned out...... so many things to consider. Just thought I might share my experiences and get some more input/ discussion going.

·
Registered
229 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f5firecat @ Jan 28 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok guys, I have a very similar problem with my 03 F5, and do not mean to hijack the thread, but I wonder if we aren't seeing similar stuff.... When my sled runs for a while and/ or in warmer conditions, it seems doggy, like the power valves are not opening- but not as drastic like you guys indicate.

YES the power valves hve been cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned again and are functioning. When the APV's are stuck, it is more severe, so it seems different. When my sled is "cold" or in colder conditions, it (the engine) feels good and pulls hard and turns about 8400, but when it gets into it's "bitcy" mode it feels doggy and will only pull about 8000 and the seat of the pants feel is noticeable. I have gone down to 340 jets, changed clutching (to ODS) and the problem has followed. One minute great then the next :turd: .

I obviously am thinking that the pipe sensor could be a route I need to explore as the culprit for my sled- same as you guys. I guess I need to do some testing,,,,, wish i had a buddy with an F5 to try it out. I am also curious as to whether the light should be coming on- since I have a 04-05 white speedo in the sled and/ or maybe the check engine light is burned out...... so many things to consider. Just thought I might share my experiences and get some more input/ discussion going.[/b]
I don't think the Power valves should hake your sled doggy, they don't open until around 7000 RPM, Maybe I am wrong I do notice the valves kick in but not sure what it fel like when thay don't work. (knock on wood)

If the pip sensor is bad I don't think you will notice a difference.

Unplug your sensor and see if the light blinks, an easy way to make sure that light on the '04 speedo is working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts