Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 500 auto 4x4 and was riding yesterday. The atv was fine starting during the day but it was til sometime during the night that the battery was drained. I noticed that my headlights were dim after chasing some hogs that something was wrong. I turned the bike off and it just clicks, luckily i have a recoil as a back up. Checked it today and the bike fired up, i could tell it was a little weak but it started with little hesitation. I just put a brand new gell cell battery in it abt a month ago and ridin it during the night since then and had no problems. Charged it up today a little bit, slapped it back on the atv, and check to see if it was charging and it sits around 12.25 at an idle, and revving it is at 12.9 or so. Once i put my headlights all it drops around .50 - .75 volts with it running. I loaded tested the battery and it holds. Im hoping that there is just a dead cell in the battery or how do i test the regulator and i guess the stator? If im not mistaken.......

·
Registered
743 Posts
Here are the pages from the service manual on a 2006 500 auto that should help you trouble shoot it. Should be the same, I'd think.

[attachment=139291:page1.JPG]

[attachment=139292:page2.JPG]

[attachment=139293:page3.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Yes it would be the same as on the Vinson 500 and Yes i do have a extra one here and will do the trade with you :)

kinda scary that the stator is $433 bucks or so.. :eek::

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i charged the battery longer today and hooked it back up b4 i begin testing, i had 14.5 volts and i was thrilled but then it dropped to 13.25 or so. Switched the headlights on and sits at 12.25. Hoping it was the battery, swapped in a different one, same story. The bike starts fine during the day, just at night when i use the headlights does it not charge the battery all the way. I began testing the stator and at the three pins, it had 38 ac volts on two of them and hardly anything on the other? Does that sound abt right? That page you sent me said abt 60...or maybe i didnt test it correctly.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Sounds like you have one bad leg on your stator. Also check the ground from the battery to the engine and make sure that it tight and clean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, so i received a stator this weekend and b4 i put it on i figure i retest the old that is on the bike, bc i was riding alot this weekend and never had the problem again, well neways i checked it and it was charging at 14.5! So I dunno what i did but its working fine now. Can anyone tell me what its suppose to be charging at with the lights on? Also, i put on H.I.Ds to brighten up the night, i installed them and right away i blew both fuses. And i remember somewhere on here that a guy put a bigger fuse in it and it solved the problem. I put two 20 amp fuses, is that to big or do i need to go bigger? And the low beams work good with no problems but the high beams flicked along with the high beam indicator, and eventually one will go out and the other one will be fine. I figured it was a bad ground but i jumped it directly to the battery and i still have the same problem. Im not sure whats goin on with the bike. Can someone please shed some light on the subject!

·
Registered
23 Posts
hid use less power so thats a little strange, but I would check the power for the high beams, souns lihe you have a bad connection, that could also be why you blew a fuse as soon as you turned them on. I would be you have a small short some where. remember boys andgirls , electricity flows through the path of least resistance!!

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
it takes a little more to fire the hid's. i haven't blew a 15 yet, if your battery's low the highs don't always want to fire. most report good result's from firing the lows then riding a few minute's before hitting the highs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the high beams do a little dance between the two, off and on. I start the quad and then turn the lights on, low beams come on no problems and i drove it a little bit then switch it to high and they flicker still. Im wondering if i run a relay for the high beams if it will fix this. I checked and wiggle all connections and still does it. And im lost abt my stator, i checked the three black wires and i wasnt getting voltage on one, rode this weekend everything work fine, checked the wires today b4 putting a stator on and now i am getting power on all three wires. Whats goin on with my quad?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
might have a short where the stator wire comes out of the case, the switching back and forth is the hid's trying to fire, not sure if a relay will help or not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
they are switching back and forth lilke fighting over each other, and then eventually one will win and shine while the other one wont. to me it seems like they need more juice to kick them off, just dont know how to boost them off. And like i said the low beams r fine, im wondering if the switch could be limiting some much need power to the lights. I guess i could unplug the lows and just switch on the highs and that should tell me if its the switch doing it? Am i thinking in the right direction? I need a manual bad!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts