Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to firgure out how to change the drive wheels or whatever they are called. Are they pressed on or something, i have a feeling im missing something very obvious (hopefully)

Thanks for the help again

Aaron Powell

·
Registered
76 Posts
Make sure you get the spacing and the timing marks to specification, otherwise you are going to have issues. Yeah 75 t should get the job done. Double check the installation as noted.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By timing marks, do you mean the little arrows that are on the new wheels should all be pointed to the same flat part of the shaft?

·
Registered
204 Posts
yes, that what he means.

Just check out where they are on the old cogs and then put the new ones on in the same place.

I'm not even sure it matters where they are in relation to the shaft, as long as they are all in the same direction.

Just to add.

Why are you changing the cogs? While your at it, I would buy a new shaft. There known to go south. Mine went two seasons ago and made me miss the best three weeks of the season.
My .02cents.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Well, if you deside to use the shaft over why don't you just move the drive sprockets (which I have done a few times) from one end to the other end. You will have a new set of drive lugs.

Auggie

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all, THANK YOU all for your responses! I Would be sooo screwed without this website (or broke i sould say)

Im only changing the cogs because the company i bought the track from said the old ones wouldnt work well with this track i bought (they came with the track at no additional charge too) . Plus my existing cogs are definatly the ones from the factory back in 97, they dont look too good.

It had a factory compolast (however you spell it) and now im running a kimplex. Not sure if that has anything to do with the cogs having to be changed.

Where could i find a new shaft? 97 zrt 800

Thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
594 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stainless tig 1 @ Nov 8 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Where could i find a new shaft? 97 zrt 800[/b]
there are two salvage places in NY state they are Hudon's sled salvage and the Sled Shed in Parish NY you could google them to get their phone #

·
Registered
256 Posts
the shaft for a 97 zrt 800 is 0602-634 thats just for the shaft i think the shaft is around 100$ after my shaft snapping last year i would recomend replacing the shaft

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the part number. Its amazing that these over 1" shafts can break!

I also discovered that my speedo side bearing was 100% junk!

I got the cogs off the shaft today, now just have to put the new ones back on at work tomorrow. thanks again.

I'll have more questions very soon, I CAN PROMISE YOU THAT :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the pitch of the track is a 2.52, i dont know a lot about this....obviously :( I bought this track from dennis kirk, and they said it would fit my application.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Sounds like you bought the Shotgun 120 1.25 track that needs diferent sprockets as its a 3 pitch vs the older 2.52

Cat has some newer models that went to the 3pitch as does Skidoo

The track will work with those new sprockets on your sled no problem

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FreezerBurnt,

Its a Kimplex Tomohawk 1.25 lug track. Either way, thank you for putting my mind at ease. I was pretty worried after i did all that cog replaceing bulls*it for the first time that i made a mistake on my purchase, thanks again

Aaron Powell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts