Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages beside what appears to price are their to using Amsoil and how do you go from Arctic cat oil to Amsoil? Do you just run your oil level down an dthen add the differant oil?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Oil will not improve or decrease engine preformance, the only real time oil affects performance is when you APV's gum up.

Good oil, your APV's will not gum up that regular and when they do it is easy to clean

Poor oil, your APV's will gum up faster and they can be a PITA to clean one time I had not choise but to use non synthetic oil because that was all that was there, my APV's ended up starting to stick after a few hundred miles on the non synthetic oil

Most syenthtic oil should work fine in your sled

Yes, run your oil down as much as you feel safe and then just top it up with your new oil....or you can get a little hand pump and pump out all the oil

·
Registered
872 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nunavut_Crossfire @ Jan 4 2007, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oil will not improve or decrease engine preformance, the only real time oil affects performance is when you APV's gum up.

Good oil, your APV's will not gum up that regular and when they do it is easy to clean

Poor oil, your APV's will gum up faster and they can be a PITA to clean one time I had not choise but to use non synthetic oil because that was all that was there, my APV's ended up starting to stick after a few hundred miles on the non synthetic oil

Most syenthtic oil should work fine in your sled

Yes, run your oil down as much as you feel safe and then just top it up with your new oil....or you can get a little hand pump and pump out all the oil[/b]
Well put!

I have used AMS Interceptor in my ZR 800 and the APV's have never stuck. I just ran it down till the light came on and then added AMS. I hear lots of good about Klotz also but have never used their oil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oil smoil, as long as the oil you are using meets the requirements set by the manufacturer RUN IT!!

I'd never say AMSOIL is bad oil but it's not the only oil. Theres no way even Fleet Farm 100%petroleum based oil has enough ash in it to gum up your valves in the short term. If you gum up valves in a couple hundred miles you must have been burnig coal in your engine.

We have put thousands of miles on many sleds and the oil we use is a synthetic blend called 2Extreme for $18.95 a gallon. We have used all the other brands and never noticed any diff in carbon build up.

All in all if you get a warm fuzzy feeling paying $30.00 a gallon for oil then I say spend it like you got it but if you think you have better protection or less ash you've never been more wrong.

I would have thaught some of the really smart people with engineering degrees on this site would have read more than just the AMSOIL lable. There are plenty of independent studies out there (I'll see if I can find a site with them) and they all seem to come to the same conclusion. "There's a bunch of good oils"

(Almost forgot) Thank you for your time

·
Registered
732 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bergerr @ Jan 4 2007, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yep, the brand of oil isn't as important as having the oil pump correctly tuned...[/b]
how do you properly tune your oil pump

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too like Amsoil Interceptor and have used it for a number of years, but buy it because it is good synthetic designed for variable exhaust valves. I will never claim it is better than any other fine oil. It is just what I choose to use, and I have a supply at Fleetfarm which is cheaper than Cat's synthetic, (which is also very good oil)

But I do agree, all the oils are good. TCWIII or JASO Ratings are the only thing I would look for, but you can't go wrong with any of the modern oils. If you do have a sled with variable exhaust, you may decide to buy an oil which is designed for this (usually synthetic, although Fowler is supposed to be very good too.

The comment about "tuning" your oil pump probably referred to people turning down the delivery of oil. Many claim the factory settings are overkill and pump more oil than say a nice 50-1 ish ratio. Thus, Some have had variable exhaust valves gum up and stick due to excesssive oil still in the exhaust. Others argue it isn't an issue if you are on your throttle and "work the valves".

Do not turn down your oil too far. Hot tip: too little oil is bad.

Check your usage and decide for yourself. But they are all very good oils from a protection standpoint.

my 2 cents, klr

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
If you gum up valves in a couple hundred miles you must have been burnig coal in your engine.[/b]
Well sorta....I was using yamablu 2 non synthetic....the suff you would use in a bravo 250 or any fan cooled sled, one of the cheapest oils out there....I was low on oil and there was no synthetic anywhere for a hundred miles, I was not going to walk 100 miles home in the middle of winter in the Arctic, that is like suicide up here...so I use what was avaliable at the time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
dont only think about your valves all the lube for your crank and your pistons and all the other shafts[doo] .rely.on a propper oil/fuel ratio.at wot if the lines on the leaver and the pump line up you are good.I would rather put a few extra liters of oil and save my engine than save a few bucks and fry the motor. $4o for oil $2000+for an engine you do the math.I have yet to blow an engine on any thing i have ever owned.oil is the cheepest part of any vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts